Heads Up Display with LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Up Display with LCD

I was thinking about a simple heads up display for my setup. Looking into the archives i found very few threads on this topic, an i figured i would revive it a bit. Idea is as follows. Will already be running a 8-10" TFT, then add on one of the Parallel LCDs everyone is talking about. I found that i need to have some sort of a plastic layer on my windshield to see the image. I plan to set the LCD are the near base of the windshield, and point it up. Here come the questions.

LCD vs. VFD. I hear that the VFD's are much brighter, which is a BIG plus when using it as a HUD. I guess what i am asking is which type or even specific model would you recommend? I found this site for a variety. http://lcdriver.pointofnoreturn.org/vfds.html

If i am aiming the LCD up, i need to flip the characters/images upside-down. (Or flip left to right). Any ideas or early posts?

Software. I plan on sending more than just mp3 information to the LCD. What kind of programs exist for outputing different kinds of data from different programs? What about simple graphics?

Thanks!
    System in the works:
    Celeron 850 or PIII 933, SB Live! Value into a stock 4 channel amp, ATI vid, 10.4" sharp LCD w/ allen's controller, Elo SW touchscreen overlay and controller, GPS, TV tuner, FW DVD drive, 4 port serial card, and some other stuff....

Loads of ideas.

If you have room on your dash or are willing to operate, the easiest way to get it the correct way on your windshield is to use a mirror in between to flip the image. VFD is definitely the only way to go if you want a reasonably bright image, unless your LCD's backlight is damn bright. The ability to do simple graphics depends entirely on your LCD's controller firmware. Most won't let you do much beyond 8 or 16 custom characters. If you really want simple graphics, try CrystalFontz' 634 Intelligent Serial Display -- it's basically a graphical display separated into 4 lines, but you're going to have to do some programming, but if you can already code, it's pretty easy. After that, you're going to have to use a graphical display. Matrix Orbital's graphic displays aren't too bad to code for, comparatively speaking.
    digitalswirlee.com

Comment

youre probably going to have to make all your characters though as they'll be flipped and mirrored...

Comment

Any progress on the HUD?

Paladin
        Sproggy Mk2.8 & shutdown controller
        Via C3 800 mini-Itx 256mb Ram, 15G notebook HDD

Life is like a Proton. You never know what you will get, but sooner or later, something will go wrong coz its a Proton!

Comment

No, i pretty much abandonded the project. I found that not only does there have to be a special film on the glass, but in order to make it look like it is really floaing over the hood, you need some special lenses. Yes, I could find out what is needed, but the only place i know to do that is in a GM Pontiac Grand Prix. Those cars have HUDs, and when the car dies, the HUD are sent to some sort of HUD heaven. GM remanuafactures them. So, i cannot get one, and no one will let me 'look' at the innerds.

Ohh well.

Thanks
          System in the works:
          Celeron 850 or PIII 933, SB Live! Value into a stock 4 channel amp, ATI vid, 10.4" sharp LCD w/ allen's controller, Elo SW touchscreen overlay and controller, GPS, TV tuner, FW DVD drive, 4 port serial card, and some other stuff....

Loads of ideas.

Comment

Hmmmm........im getting no success in getting the camera's myself. Anyway i think i might resort to a Graphic VFD display.

Paladin
            Sproggy Mk2.8 & shutdown controller
            Via C3 800 mini-Itx 256mb Ram, 15G notebook HDD

Life is like a Proton. You never know what you will get, but sooner or later, something will go wrong coz its a Proton!

Comment

I was able to get 2 of those from a junkyard last year. One is still sitting in my closet waiting to go in my truck. I also see them on ebay from time to time, you'll pay between $50 and $200 depending on how well the description is written.

As for the guts, theres not much to it. There is a small VFD screen, which is extremely bright. This bounces off of the first mirror to aim it towards the front. Then it bounces off of the main mirror, which is matched to the curvature of the windshield, and lines the image up correctly.

Really there isnt much to it.

If you were crafty, you could take one apart, and put your own LCD in there with a big bulb, in place of the VFD. The resolution wouldnt be terrific, but if you limited yourself to big text or icons, then you could get by.

As far as the windshield, unless you have one designed for a HUD, there will be ghosting in your image. This is where you get a main image on the inside surface of the glass, and a ghost image on the outside. The HUD windshields align both of these images up, so you see them together, the end result being clearer and brighter.

Those cheap aftermarket HUDs you see just put a reflective film on the inside of the windshield. This works to, I havent used it before, but I would think it reduces your visibility through the glass.
              K6-2 450 SBC, miniature case, dc power supply, 5gb laptop hdd

Comment

I see... Thats very interesting info.. Thanks.

I will have to look around ebay again for some hud guts. I am not sure that it is going to be worth it after as much work as I am looking at, but I will see.

Thanks!
                System in the works:

Loads of ideas.

Comment

My car is a renault Twingo.
                  When there is a piece of paper on top of the dash, it shows at the right position on the windshield.
                  do you think installing a standard LCD where the piece of paper is currently located would result in a functionnal HUD ?
                  I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                  NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                  http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Try it out. Get one with a cord on it and just lay it up there to see how it looks. Without the correct windshield and mirrors (which I'll bet none of us have) no one will get a perfect image. So its all about getting to a level of clarity thats acceptable to you.

Comment

Heres some ebay links

A version of the GM HUD
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1837182739

A common aftermarket HUD
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1836547868

Comment

I know that early 90s nissan 240sx had some kind of HUD. That might help you out too. Good Luck!
                        "I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar"

Comment

I know it's an old post but...

I just got a '98 Grand Prix GTP with the HUD. I don't know about other non-GM cars but in order for the HUD to look sharp and not blurry you need to have the correct winshield. Yes there is a HUD and a non-HUD windshield...

Wierd.
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by abmcomp
                            As far as the windshield, unless you have one designed for a HUD, there will be ghosting in your image. This is where you get a main image on the inside surface of the glass, and a ghost image on the outside. The HUD windshields align both of these images up, so you see them together, the end result being clearer and brighter.

Those cheap aftermarket HUDs you see just put a reflective film on the inside of the windshield. This works to, I havent used it before, but I would think it reduces your visibility through the glass.
                            Uh yeah, weird

Comment

OUCH!!!!

Didn't read that one all the way, sorry. LOL!
                              Aura MR62 (F and R)
                              My Current MP3s
                              IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
                              X