Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i hook up this LCD to my printer port???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i hook up this LCD to my printer port???

What I want to do:
    I have a b/w 480 x 320 touch screen from a Rocket e-Book.
    I was wondering if i could use them sort of like people use the Matrix Orbital and Crystalfontz LCD displays

Screen Details:
    The screen is a SHARP LM5H40TA
    The pinout can be found on page 6 of this pdf = The LM5H40TA Datasheet

My experience:
    I have never tryed to hook up anything homeade to my computer before so i don't know about any of the protocol other than the basics.
    I do make robots and simple circuits so I do know how to solder and all that so the only hard part for me would be trying to figure out how to wire it up.

does anyone have any information or do yah need some more info?

Comment

While it makes for an interesting topic, you might want to change it one way or ther other.

Like "Can I wire this TouchLCD to my parallel port?"
      or "Can I make a parallel video interface?"
      or "Can I run this TouchLCD from a CarPC?"

Doing that would certainly give the thread some more direction.

Also touch interface questions should go here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Comment

No, you can't hook that screen up to your printer port. Unlike the matrix orbital and crystal fontz displays, the screen you mention requires continual refreshing. The parallel port isn't fast enough (you need to be pushing data out at about 4MB/s according to the datasheet), and even it it was, the load on the processor would be large and you wouldn't have time to do much else.
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

As previously mentioned, the lcd requires constant refresh. If you really want to control this thing with your parallel port, you would have to also design a widgit that goes between the parallel port and the screen. The widgit would require memory and the extra logic to read the memory & send the info to the lcd. I'm sure you can find some lcd controllers that do this, but the expense isn't worth it unless you design it yourself.

Comment

Control of LCD panel

Hi!
            I need some help. I have motherboard via EBC-5613 with two LCD panel connectors that according to the specification are: HIROSE DF13-40DP-1.25V, second panel connector HIROSE DF13-40DP-1.25V, HIROSE DF13-20DP-1.25V Zoom Video Port connector and LCD inverter connector (5xwafer) +1x LCD Backlight brightness +1x STN LCD Contrast ADJ connectors (if it will help).Iím interested if I can connect them with a real LCD panel. I have SHARP LM5Q32 320x240 STN and Mitsubishi AA10SA6C-ADDD 640x480 TFT LCD.
            Where can I find more Information for managing LCD Panels?
            I will be grateful for any information or advice.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AWDNUT
              While it makes for an interesting topic, you might want to change it one way or ther other.

Like "Can I wire this TouchLCD to my parallel port?"
              or "Can I make a parallel video interface?"
              or "Can I run this TouchLCD from a CarPC?"

Doing that would certainly give the thread some more direction.

Also touch interface questions should go here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31
              well actually I was asking about the LCD and not the touchscreen portion of it. I could care less about the touchscreen part considering that I like real buttons because I don't want to have to take my eayes off the road while driving. So I think I put it in the right forum considering that I only wanted info on the LCD portion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
                No, you can't hook that screen up to your printer port. Unlike the matrix orbital and crystal fontz displays, the screen you mention requires continual refreshing. The parallel port isn't fast enough (you need to be pushing data out at about 4MB/s according to the datasheet), and even it it was, the load on the processor would be large and you wouldn't have time to do much else.
                well on the rocket ebook when the power is cut, whatever is on the screen slowly fades out and takes around 2 and a half minutes to completely disapear.
                What if I were to use this "bug" to my advantage and only refresh every 10-15 seconds? The contrast dosn't even fade until 30 seconds after power is cut. I even tested this out without the battery plugged in. so even though the data sheet says it needs contant refreshing I don't think it is really true unless this is just an effect of a very big capacitor (and I saw none) holding the charge after power is shut off.

Comment

Working...
                X