Analog or PCI controller card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog or PCI controller card?

Ok guys, I need some help. The people over at flat-panel.com have been completely unresponsive to me. I need to know if I should get an analog or pci controller.

My knee-jerk reaction is to go pci, but the lcd will be roughly 10' away from the pc. So will the cable be long enough? Some advice please

Thanks

not sure bout length, but you will get a clearer picture with the pci card.
    "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

I think the leginth to the PCI card is pretty short.

I bought the ADC (analog / VGA) controler for my sharp lcd. It looks fine.

I sttached the board to the back of the lcd with some standoff's took some pics - www.hjnetworks.com/car/v2/lcd.htm
      Gizmo-
      Techonlogy on Wheels
      http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

gizmomkr,
        How much was your analog VGA controller? If it's cheaper than the other controllers then I think it's a great way to go!
        1983 BMW 733i
        Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
        Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Gizmomkr,

Hey cool.. That's the exact same LCD i have! You got a better deal though

Oh well.

But tell me please, you say on your site that the controller only supports 256 colors... But it says on Flat-Panel that it support 24 bit color! Hmmm... Why only 256?

Comment

Actually on his site he said it was 4-bits per channel.

4 bits x 3 channels (R, G, B) = 12 bits

2^12 = 4096 possible colors.

Most LCD panels are not full truecolor, although they do a very good job of blending the colors so a 4096 color panel will look just fine. It's not like the 256 color days when the palette would change whenever you opened a new window, etc.

---

NuBoo -

If I were you I would get a VGA-input digitizer board like gizmomkr did. This is the best way if your display is far away from the PC. With a good shielded cable the signal quality should be very good. Plus you can run a thin VGA cable to the front of your car and not have to hide a big ribbon cable.

A bare LCD with no controller is meant to be placed in close proximity to the controller. Most of these panels were designed for a panel PC with the motherboard on the back of it, or in a laptop where the cable goes less than a foot to the controller.

The only other alternative is to get a panel with a LVDS (Low-voltage differential signalling). This uses twisted pair cabling and you need a LCD that supports it as well as a controller. Some newer motherboards have LVDS drivers built into them and thus have a port labeled Digital Video Out (looks kind of like a 3-row DB-25 connector). Most digital flatpanel computer monitors support this interface as well. I believe LVDS can go tens of feet (I believe someone had it working at 25 feet). Plus I think the specification allows for other data in the video cable such as audio signals and USB wires.

There is a company called Silicon Image that makes the controller chips for LVDS. I believe LVDS also goes by the name of PanelLink.
            Jason Johnson
            Yorba Linda, California
            http://www.m2pc.com

MPC Phase IV - *** PENDING ***

Comment

One thing to consider is whether or not you want DVD in the future. The PCI card from Flat-panel does not have a jumper connection for a DVD hardware decoder. So if you want DVD, you'll need a software decoder (which is fine if you have the needed processor).

The analog would allow you to use a standard video card, which could be jumpered to a hardware decoder...

Lastly: Does anyone here have the pinouts for that controller card???

Thanks!
              '96 LT1 Caprice
              Tunercat Enhanced
              Best 1/4 time: 14.5 @ 93 mph

Comment

Working...
              X