Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunlight visibility - If Clarion had it years ago, why can't we get it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunlight visibility - If Clarion had it years ago, why can't we get it?

I had a clarion touchscreen dvd player. I ditched it about a year and a half ago for my car pc. The screen wass excellent and very easily visible in sunlight. It wasn't transflective or anything special, just had a good backlight and a thin quality touchscreen.

Here is a simple question... WTF?!?!

Why haven't Xenarc or Lilliput created a screen that can be readable in sunlight? or anyone else for that matter.

You know what's FRUSTRATING... having your car PC work flawlessly (and we all know how hard that is to acomplish) and your screen be the problem with having a stable system. I have a lilliput with the stupid 'Jurassic Park' logo problem... and now the touchscreen just won't work! I don't know how it broke but when you plug in the USB it does the XP 'du-dun' USB found sound, it just doesn't work (mouse won't move).

But I digress... I need to find a new screen and I was thinking by now there would be a solution but it's still the same speculation and high-hopes.

Now I know we just can't grab one of those screens but I would gladly pay around $400 or so for a screen that would simply be readable in daylight, and I am sure you guys would to.

Sorry, just had to vent! Any ideas of what new screen I should buy?

Isn't exactly perfect, but the best (IMHO) so far.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59297

Comment

Reoslution, my boy.
      The smaller pixels used in the VGA screen to achieve higher resolutions result in lesser brightness.
      You don't need as many pixels to display a TV or a DVD image, since the resolution is alot lower.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ah, so you're saying since it's got a finer dot pitch the backlight is getting filtered through smaller holes so output is less bright?

But still I can't be the only one that feels like this, right?

Comment

There are loads of threads about this very subject over the forum... Including people working on upgrading backlights, better quality screens, etc.

It comes down to cost... yes, you can put a powerful backlight on the screen, but everything to do with this costs more...

Hopefully, once transreflective screens become well established they'll make there way into lower cost models.

Comment

We have some exciting news that came out of our Asia trip that will be released within the next month or so.

Comment

Will that include exciting news for 8" TFT owners?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiberoptic
                We have some exciting news that came out of our Asia trip that will be released within the next month or so.
                Maybe you can leak some info out.
                Not that I am going to buy any screen soon, but that will help others to 'hold off' their purchase and wait for a better one.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Definately... leak away. I really need a new screen and I posted this because I was frustrated of waiting to buy something better and there was nothing "better" out yet.

So if there is a reason to wait some good leaked information will help ease my pain!

And we won't hold you to anything Fiberoptic (I bet you've heard that before )

Comment

we have to wait another year to find out?

Comment

Here's another point: Any of you have a Treo 650? It's a transflective screen with an ULTRA bright screen. Can see wonderfully in the daylight!

Now I know you guys might say because it's a smaller screen and they can use LED's or easier ways to light the screen but really the touchscreen's glare is slim-to-none. You CAN'T even see the touchscreen on the screen. This makes me believe that the touchscreens on our display's are made of really cheap components.

Comment

My partner has a Treo 650 I dont like the screen on it.... I guess each one has their idea of what a good screen is... the treo's screen shows pixels, the colors dont look that good imo, and the touch isnt really comfortable, it feels flimsy.... wouldnt cut it for a car LCD by a far stretch... again this is my opinion of course
                        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by davem
                          Here's another point: Any of you have a Treo 650? It's a transflective screen with an ULTRA bright screen. Can see wonderfully in the daylight!

Now I know you guys might say because it's a smaller screen and they can use LED's or easier ways to light the screen but really the touchscreen's glare is slim-to-none. You CAN'T even see the touchscreen on the screen. This makes me believe that the touchscreens on our display's are made of really cheap components.
                          I have a Treo650 and I love it. It's necessary for me at work, keeping track of appointments and projects and clients.
                          The screen is pretty amazing. In fact, when I'musing it at night, it's too bright!!!! I can use the damn thing as a flashlight in a pinch!
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            I have a Treo650 and I love it. It's necessary for me at work, keeping track of appointments and projects and clients.
                            The screen is pretty amazing. In fact, when I'musing it at night, it's too bright!!!! I can use the damn thing as a flashlight in a pinch!
                            ha. During the blackout in nyc a few years ago. I used my toshiba pda as a flashlight. I didn't have a batteries for my real flashlight. (sorry to stray off-topic)
                            --------
                            mykolJay
                            99 Accord coupe
                            http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                            My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Well whatever your opinion of the Treo screen I think it definately is one of the sharpest and bright screens I have seen.

I actually need to buy my new screen. Since my touchscreen broke I am setting up a steering wheel remote for now. Is there a 7" widescreen VGA without touchscreen that is HIGH BRIGHTNESS?

Comment

Working...
                              X