TH-868 Driving me crazy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TH-868 Driving me crazy.

First off let me say that this is my first touch screen display and I have a few questions.

1. How bright are these things suposed to be because its not even remotely close to my laptop or desktop brightness. I don't know maybe there is a way to open it up and check the backlight or something.

2. How do I get a resolution of 640 x 480? Both of my computers don't have this as a selection. The lowest is 800 x 600.

Any help and additional info about this screen would be awsome. This is my first car pc project and I keep getting discouraged and am thinking about scrapping the whole idea. Thanks

Where did you get such a screen? I've never heard of it, nor can I find it after a quick search on Google.

1. I can't find the specs for your screen, but generally laptop or desktop screens are brighter. If nothing else, your screen is more dim than a laptop or desktop because of the touchscreen. A touchscreen is an overlay that is placed on top of the LCD. This overlay will make the screen appear dimmer. Not much you can do about this other than boosting the power of the backlight, but that is kinda risky (whole other can of worms).

2. These settings are based on your OS. What are you using? Windows? *nix?

-psyrex
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

2. for a program called "powerstrip". Is this spoon feeding? Good luck.

Mike
      "Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?"
      Bob Marley

Comment

Well, 640x480 is standard. Powerstrip is not needed. If this is Windows, go to Display Properties in your Control Panel. Go to the Settings tab, then hit the "Advanced" button on the bottom right. From the new dialog box, go to the Adapter tab and hit the "List All Modes..." button on the bottom left. There will be a list of all modes available, and 640x480 should be on there. It's organized first by color depth, then resolution, and then refresh frequency.

-psyrex

(p.s., now THIS is spoonfeeding)
        ...it never ends

Comment

OK enough wit the "spoon feeding" jokes. It just gets me extremely ****ed off that now a days configuring these things is a ball buster. I think spending all this money is enough work as it is. The screen came from ebay, its an 8" touch that looks awsome until you turn the fu**ing thing on. I will take a picture in the dark so you can see how dim it is, let me know what you think (psyrex). Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Well, resolution configuration is done on your operating system, regardless of what screen you use or if the computer is in a car or not. Please don't let that sour this project for you. Building a car pc is fun.

As for the screen, I searched on ebay, and found a TM-868 (as opposed to "TH" as you said). If this is the screen, the specs are the same as the 7" wide Lilliput and Xenarc screens that most people use around here. It's pretty much as bright as it will get in this price range. You have to shell out alot more for a brighter/clearer screen.

Anyways, a resolution of 640x480 is fairly standard and easy to achieve. Just follow the step-by-step I posted above. Since this is the pixel resolution of the LCD, it should be fairly clear.

Hope this helps,
            -psyrex
            ...it never ends

Comment

Well the resolution change helped out. Now the picture is nice and clear. The brightness thing is still throwing me for a loop though. The monitor is definately dim and when I adjust the brightness setting it has absolutely no affect. The other thing I was thinking is this unit only came with a europe style home adapter. I am using the adapter for one of my wireless camera units the diferances are that the one that came with the monitor is 1200mA and the one that I'm using is only 300mA. Do you think that could be the reason for the lack of brightness. Thanks

Comment

Well, after some more searching, I found a spec that shows a comsumption of 10W. This makes it a draw of around 850mA, which means that, yeah, it's your adapter. Switch to a decent power supply and you might see up to 3x the brightness.

-psyrex
                ...it never ends

Comment

Originally posted by psyrex
                  Well, after some more searching, I found a spec that shows a comsumption of 10W. This makes it a draw of around 850mA, which means that, yeah, it's your adapter. Switch to a decent power supply and you might see up to 3x the brightness.

-psyrex
                  Thats what it was. I went and bought one of those travel plug sets and used the correct adapter. It got a lot brighter. The brightness control still has no effect but, its bright enough now. Thanks for the help Psyrex, much appreciated. If there weren't any people like you on this forum it would suck. Once again thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike1
                    OK enough wit the "spoon feeding" jokes. It just gets me extremely ****ed off that now a days configuring these things is a ball buster. I think spending all this money is enough work as it is. The screen came from ebay, its an 8" touch that looks awsome until you turn the fu**ing thing on. I will take a picture in the dark so you can see how dim it is, let me know what you think (psyrex). Thanks for the replies.
                    Sometimes it's the jokes that keep us going. Don't take it to serious.

Mike
                    Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by mike-e-mon
                      Sometimes it's the jokes that keep us going. Don't take it to serious.

Mike
                      Don't you mean "too" and not "to"? Gotcha.

Comment

Now I have a nother problem. The monitor doesn't show up in the setup screen for calibration. When I plugged it in the usual add new hardware promp came up and I did just that. Then I installed the new software and it doesn't show at all. What to do, what to do.

Comment

Why does it matter? The only thing that the OS should do is set resolution and refresh rate. A standard VGA resolution of 640x480 is all you need.

-psyrex
                          ...it never ends

Comment

Originally posted by psyrex
                            Why does it matter? The only thing that the OS should do is set resolution and refresh rate. A standard VGA resolution of 640x480 is all you need.

-psyrex
                            I understand that. The problem that I'm talking about is with the touchscreen software. There is a calibration with 4 point on the screen and to do it you need to chose the monitor in the activation window of the software . My monitor doesn't show up though. When I installed the software I think it was suposed to be done before hooking up the monitor then a reboot, then the monitor. I did it *** backwards though. How do get rid of the touchscreen in the harware device section so I can start over again. Also are any registry changes that need to be done in order to remove the device the right way so that when I reinstall it will work? I know I'm a big pain in the fu**ing *** right? My mother says the same ****. Thanks

Comment

Unplug the USB cable for TS.
                              Uninstall the TS driver, using Add and Remove Programs in control panel.
                              Restart computer.
                              Install the TS driver.
                              Plug in the USB cable for TS.

Mike
                              Bob Marley

Comment

Working...
                              X