"Detachable" displays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Detachable" displays

I'm looking for examples/advice on creating a TFT display (5-8") that can be stowed and attached to the dash somewhere, only when in use.

It would need to be thin, and ideally housed in some sexy-looking case.

It would require a longer than normal cable so that it can reach the dash.

I was thinking that it could be sweet to have this thing in my console most of the time. if I want to change a song/playlist, I could just open the console, make the change and put it back. if I want to make a lot of changes or use the navigation system, I could just attach it to the dash (magnet or velcro) and have the wire run from the console.

Does anyone see any major problems in doing this? Has this been done already? If you know of any pictures out there, please let me know. I would like to see some examples.

thx.

Woohoo! A sexy case, glue some pink lace on it and go to town!

Otherwise you're looking at 1 1/2" deep in the housing for most LCD's. The one I got recently is a Power Acoustik 5.6", and it has a nice case +controls on it.

Mounting wise, it's best to go with a good velcro, as magnets may mess with it. Otherwise then that, you're looking at an RCA line + power that has to run to it, but there should be no problems in a "temp" mount as needed install..

Scott--
    -=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-
    97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
    Project R/T SoundDomain Page

Comment

Otherwise you're looking at 1 1/2" deep in the housing for most LCD's.
      Just to be clear, by housing, I'm referring to just the part the protects the TFT Screen, similar to the upper half of a laptop (only smaller). Is that what you're talking about? I looked at the power acoustik stuff. All the pictures show the flip-down style. An inch and a half sounds kind of thick. Effectively, I want to end up with a thin small "tablet-like" display.

Comment

Oops... my bad, this is the one I got just about, but without the headrest install bezel..

5.6"TFT/LCD 4:3 Ratio
        Single Video Input
        Headrest Clam Shell Kit
        Resolution 960 x 234
        NTSC Operating System
        Stand Including
        Dimensions: 4.5" x 6.5" x 1.5" (x 1" without the black headrest bezel)

Most LCD "Modules" are around .5" deep, but you really do need something to house them in. They're deeper then you would expect because the control board is mounted directly to the screen. With a little bit of hacking and alot of work though you may be able to seperate the screen from the board without trashing it. Though I would not recommend trying unless you feel it's ok to risk $199 or so to get a total depth of .5" with housing.

Scott--
        97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
        Project R/T SoundDomain Page

Comment

Working...
        X