cheap alternatives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap alternatives?

Hello, I'm looking for a cheap alternative for a touchscreen LCD. Anyone know any alternatives to the lilliput and the other LCD's going for $200+.

"SUPER" LCD brand. but they look like crap and arent very bright.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Super-TOUCH-SC...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Find a 14 inch desktop LCD on sale Mine was $180
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

try the FS/FT forum..... I seen lillis going for $190 overthere.

Thanatos.
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

If there was a cheap and suitable alternative, I think you'd find that most people would be using it. Here's the deal - of all the parts of a Car PC to skimp on, the screen is the most visible. It is the part that people will judge your entire install from and the part that you will look at and interact with the most. You can have the biggest piece of crap PC with the cheapest components and a manual switch to run the whole thing and nobody will be the wiser but if you have a crap screen it will look like junk.

Most people who buy a cheap screen end up getting rid of it and buying a Lilli or Xenarc. That makes the cost nearly double what you'd pay if you bought a quality screen in the first place.

Don't have the cash? Run headless while you save. It will be a powerful motivator, but don't skimp on the screen.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I'll back this up. I have one of the SUPER brand screens and it's nothing but trouble. I wish I'd spent a little more and got a decent lilliput screen.
              VIA M10000
              512Mb RAM
              30Gb 2.5" HDD
              Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
              Silverstone USB DAC
              Consult (ODB)
              CarTFT K500
              Carnetix P1290
              NLited XP with Road Runner and MapMonkey

Comment

Originally posted by Firmium
                Hello, I'm looking for a cheap alternative for a touchscreen LCD. Anyone know any alternatives to the lilliput and the other LCD's going for $200+.
                You pay for what you get.

At this point and time, ther eis no cheap alternative.
                You can get a no-name brand that's cheaper and get burned. You can get someone's piece of crap off EBay and get burned that way. You can purchase something off a forum member and your risk of getting burned diminishes somewhat. Or you can bit the bullet and shell out the extra cash in the beginning and get a new, quality product with warranty.
                The choice is yours.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Trying to discuss the issues of delayed postage and missing cables with someone who speaks almost no English is NOT fun. Go for a legitimate retailer everytime, learn from my mistake
                  VIA M10000
                  512Mb RAM
                  30Gb 2.5" HDD
                  Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                  Silverstone USB DAC
                  Consult (ODB)
                  CarTFT K500
                  Carnetix P1290
                  NLited XP with Road Runner and MapMonkey

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
                    "SUPER" LCD brand. but they look like crap and arent very bright.
                    Do you have one? I for one will back up the Super brand. Yes, the first one I had broke, but I only blame myself. I shorted something out when messing with the ribbon cable. The second one I'm having no problems with at all. I also installed the screen upside down and flipped the image, and now that my viewing angle is different, it's plenty bright on overcast days, and acceptable on sunny days.

Comment

Be patient and don't bid high. You can score a "super" monitor cheap enough:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
                      2000 Acura Integra Type-R
                      Progress = 99% ---> Check it out:
                      http://www.matrixshark.com/carputer.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X