"Touchy" topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Touchy" topic

I would like to have a 5-6" touchscreen for a display. Is this practical, or is it too small?

What's the best solution for the money? I understand I can buy one for >$800 or possibly build one using a kit from a few manufactures. Any recommendations?

5"-6" I believe is practical. It also depends what your intended use. I have a 6.4" VGA TFT. IMHO, VGA is the only way to go. It's pricey, but you were talking about spending less than $800, and that's no problem. My complete display kit (LCD module, controller card, and back light inverter) cost me $700. I use it for Mp3, DVD, GPS, even word processing. The picture is awesome. For more info, visit my website www.digitalintegra.com and under "Overview" click on "Display" I did a write up of my LCD and listed other available options. Good luck.
    My Install Thread
    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

OMG! Kinda pricey! I got my 6.8" TFT LCD for $355 off of eBay. You could just buy a touchscreen for it.
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

OMG! Kinda pricey! I got my 6.8" TFT LCD for $355 off of eBay. You could just buy a touchscreen for it.
        Was it a complete VGA TFT? Controller card, cables, and backlight inverter?

If so...AWESOME DEAL!
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Yea. It was all in one. You can see it on my page.
          http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
          Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows 98, Winamp, DesktopX GUI -- All in a custom acrylic case!
            You sure that's a 6.8" VGA
            My Install Thread
            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Its NOT a VGA but a TFT. I have one of those and i think it is prolly the BEST one you will ever get for that SIZE. If u run custom APP's like CobraII/III then you are good to go. If you plan on just running Win9x/ME/2k with desktop or without custom app, then dont even bother, i hope you know what i mean there. Any i had one for almost 1yr and until i upgraded to a 7" Active Matrix, thats right active matrix not a TFT, there is a big difference there. Any if you really want to do it right, either Active Matrix or VGA, mind you that VGA will cost your more and i suspect somewhere around >=$700....... for more info just let me know.
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I don't mean to harp on this point, but in the interest of helping people to understand what they are buying (because it is easier to get screwed when you lack information), I excerpt from my response to this post:

Technically speaking, active matrix displays are composed of a rear glass substrate patterned with thin-film transistors (TFTs). TFT is a method of manufacturing and active matrix is how the transitors are used to display a picture.

Therefore, when you see something for sale on Ebay, online, or in a store - a "TFT" display is the same thing as an "Active Matrix" or "Active" display. They are the same thing.

Further, to copy from my other post:

VGA, SVGA, etc. are video graphic standards. For example, a DSTN (example of a dual-scan, passive matrix) display can be VGA, SVGA, etc. just as an active matrix display can be VGA, SVGA, etc.

True VGA (as set out by IBM) supports 16 colors at 640x480 resolution, or 256 colors at 320x200 resolution (and not 256 colors at 640x480, even though many people think it does). VGA colors are chosen from a palette of 262,144 colors (not 16.7 million) because VGA uses 6 bits to specify each color, instead of the 8 that is the standard today.

SVGA is really no one set of standards since there is no body behind it (like IBM to VGA). Commonly SVGA is used to refer to resolutions of 800x600.

Also, the $700 price tag is about right for 6" screens. I'm more into to pieceing one together myself, but earthlcd for one has a $399 package with an 8.4" TFT (AKA active matrix) screen, a PCI controller card, and cables. If you can fit bigger, you can reduce your price significantly.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: LCD crazy ]

Comment

I will make it easier for you. Get a TFT and get an active matrix screen...put them side by side and YOU will see the diff imediately. If you dont want to keep adjusting ur brightness or contrast every now and then, then go the active matrix way notice i said active matrix NOT TFT....anyway LCD Crazy, i am understand u definition 100% but i still think there is a diff in terms of quality... NO way in hell does my 6.8" TFT come close to my 7" Active Matrix Screen.... Find ur self a laptop screen, take a TFT screen and put them side by side, notice the picture quality??? this is what i am talking about
                  abcd-1
                  Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                  You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I have seen any number of displays side-by-side. Different screens look different - I would never argue with that. I think you are missing my point, "active matrix" and "tft" mean the same thing when you see a description of a screen's attributes. (Again, they are two different technologies that in commercially available displays are ALWAYS together).

Now, I could put two active matrix screens next to each other and one could "look better" - this has nothing to do with whether one is more or less an active matrix or TFT - it could deal with material quality, backlight strength, etc. You highlight the point that there is no substitute for visual inspection.

If you show me an active matrix screen that is not TFT I will admit my mistake, but I think you'll find it nearly impossible (scientists have made active matrix displays based on metal- insulator-metal (MIM) diodes, but never commercially so I assume you have never been able to put one side by side).

The only reason that I get on this is because of the Ebay scam artists that get people to bid 100s for a laptop screen worth 10 bucks because of clever advertising using buzzwords like "active", etc.

To be honest, I think what you are probably "looking" at is the diffrence in resolution and color depth. I can gaurantee that your 6" and 7" have differences there and this is the source of your comparison. It probably has nothing to do with the active matrix, tft technology (since they are the same thing).

Do a search on google for "active matrix", "TFT" or "Thin Film Transistor" to read more about this technology.

Comment

Working...
                    X