Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested LCD to fit in the dash of a 98 civic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested LCD to fit in the dash of a 98 civic?

I'm looking for suggestions on an LCD to buy. I've searched on the net and these boards, but am having trouble finding anything quite like what I'm looking for. I'm looking for some suggestions for my specific situation

Here is what I'm hoping to do:

Mount the LCD cleanly in the dash of a 98 civic (I want it to look as close to factory as possible).

Have the LCD mounted in some kind of removable mount (best theft deterrant seems to be not having anything in the car to steal)

Use the LCD for WinAmp, Street Atlas, and maybe video games (passenger only). Possibly upgrade the computer to do DVDs later.

Have the LCD not cost more than $200.

Obviously there will be some tradeoffs, but I am looking for suggestions as to what size I should get, whether I should get NTSC/VGA. Suggestions as to specific LCDs or places to buy would also be welcome.

I have a 97 civic and I did a removeable install. Check my page.
    I just used the stand that came with my NTSC LCD and wedged the stand into a slot in the dash just below the A/C control.

Also I don't have any wires hanging and it's just slide it in and it's on kinda thing.
    Anyway I think the pics are self explanatory.
    If you are looking for a VGA LCD, expect to spend at least 2X as much as NTSC screens.
    I will take some pics of my new 6.8 screen sometime soon and let you know.
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Originally posted by moahdib:
      <STRONG>If you are looking for a VGA LCD, expect to spend at least 2X as much as NTSC screens.
      I will take some pics of my new 6.8 screen sometime soon and let you know.</STRONG>
      I can't figure out if I need VGA or if NTSC will do fine for me. From what I understand, the resolution of the LCD is the most important for Street Atlas (less so for winamp or games or DVDs) so for Street Atlas, what minimum size/resolution is suggested? Could I get by with an NTSC screen?

Comment

I am running a 6.8" NTSC screen at 800X600 and I see everything fine on my GPS program (coPilot 2001) which is designed for car gps navigation.
        For GPS navigation I suggest you use either copilot 2001 or street atlas USA road warrior edition. Copilot is the best though for many reasons...
        04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

If you're looking to spend $200 or less you want to go composite NTSC using a TV out vid card.
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
          How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Working...
          X