Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference Between EL and LED backlights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference Between EL and LED backlights?

anyone know what the difference between EL and LED backlights is on character displays? I just got a 2x24 from optrex and I didn't think it had a backlight because it was so thin..then I found out that it's an EL backlight. Are these better? Anyone know how they look from experience? Just curious... Thanks.
    Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

I think EL backlights you need an inverter for.. where as regular character LED backlights just run off +5VDC.

Could be wrong...
    95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
    mp3civic site

Comment

EL backlights are thinner, use less power, and light more evenly. They also require an inverter and are more expensive, though
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Any idea where I can find an inverter for one? I just got a really nice sample for free, but I am inverterless. EIO and EarthLCD don't seem to have anything of the type. Thanks for the clarifications.
        Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

Comment

Also, does anybody know about the backlight brightness adjustment with EL's? do they use a 100 ohm pot just like the LED's?

Comment

The EL brightness is usually controlled through voltage. The higher the voltage, the brighter the backlight and vice versa.

Comment

Try Digikey.
              95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
              mp3civic site

Comment

Working...
              X