LCD on 3COM Audry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD on 3COM Audry

Hey, i have been trying to figure out if the screen on the 3COM Audry would be worthwhile hacking on. Its and internet appliance with an 8" touchscreen LCD for $89. does anyone know if this is a passive or active matrix screen and how bright?

-paul

check out www.tigerdirect.com http://www.audreyhacking.com

Passive Matrix brightness is ok for inside but outside/in car it sucks I dont think it is worth it for an in-car pc head BTW the CPU on the audrey can play mp3's (but if you try to do anything else on it at the same time it will start skipping).

Comment

yea, i bet its passive. thats why i wanted to figure it out but i cant find it anywhere.
      cool little gadget though. for $90 i think i might check it out....

-paul

Comment

Did anyone actually try this out? This sounded promissing.

Comment

I have one what you want to know about it ?

Comment

Well, I have been considering getting one and using a crossover network cable and using VNC to control my main box via touchscreen. Do you think that would work?

Comment

to use the network with the audrey you have to get a USB ethernet adapter (a 3com one is supported out of the box but if you did around on the linux-hacker.net BBS you might find info on drivers for other USB adapters)
              It would work but there are a few problems/things you might want to know first. I could not get the vnc client to accept the password from the command line in my little bit of trying on the audrey so once you start it up it still needs to have the keyboard to type in the password (the audrey has a IR keyboard) touchscreen seems to be a little tricky to get double clicks working (because you tend to mouse the clicker between clicks) but that might jsut be a settign in the mouse properties I am not sure. the screen is not all that bright if you are thinking about it for outdoor/incar use.

if you ahve any more questions just ask here or look up my info in my profile and ask me there.

Comment

Working...
              X