Hi-Res LCD??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Res LCD??

I was looking at my wife's ericsson mobile phone and was impressed by the display. I don't know the correct terminology, I can only describe it as having a "tight" resolution and a cool looking backlight. The display does a good job showing small icons and the color is kind of a toxic-looking blue-green color (really bright).

Not the same phone, but here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

http://www.ericsson.com/A3618/

Does anyone know about this kind of display? Are they available/affordable? To me they look a little cooler than the standard ones, not as grainy looking.

I've been servicing mobiles for about a year now. The new ericssons use an electro-luminescent backlight(It's a pain to replace I might add). EL backlight LCDs look better than LED backlighting in my opinion but they require and inverter and have a shorter life than LEDs. As for the resolution, it's not actually that high on these displays it looks good mainly because the display is so small. Somebody has a web page with a way of converting a standard character LCD to an EL backlight and somebody else might remember the URL. The EL backights are a very thin plastic strip with a phosphor coating and they produce a white light. The white light is filtered to produce whatever colour you want.

Comment

from pioneer website:
      "The brightest light of the year comes exclusively from Pioneer. The OEL (Organic EL) display delivers high-contrast, moving 3D images. The light-organic material is placed between two electrodes; when electric power is applied to the electrodes, light is emitted. The display's smart functionality lets you control and confirm play source operating information at a glance, and provides plenty of space for text, for lists of tracks, discs or other data from MDs or CDs. "

i think this the same thing u guys r talking about

take a look @

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/products/car/deh154en.htm

for a picture...
      hope this helps
      My Setup

Comment

Hey Technics, If you have been servicing cell phones i have a question for you. I recently have bought a Motorola 8767 and its the flip face phone. The flip on the phone wiggles in the closed position. It is really annoying and I was wondering if this is common?..... [email protected]
        ------2000 S-10 Xtreme----------
        BookPC 433 5.6" LCD
        128mb ATI AIW
        18gb Laptop HD DVD
        GPS TV
        Wireless Internet
        Wireless LAN
        ***VIDEO SURVEILLANCE***

AIM: Kinnish0 (Drop me a line)
        KinnishXtreme( IN CAR SN)

Link To My XtremePC2001 Page
        Pic's of Install Here

Comment

Mike,

I was talking about a type of display, similar to the 4 X 40's that people often use. I was wondering if anyone had looked at these types of displays as an alternative to the 4 X 40's.

Comment

ahh, ok. It would still be cool to get mp3 info on one of those el headunit displays though, but they'd be a pain 2 hack

if you did use an el backlight for a 4x40, it would look much nicer if the 4x40 was inverted...
            My Setup

Comment

I want to do that, but I haven't been able to find a source for EL

Some places sell it in small sheets, but I haven't found anything big enough for a 4x40
              www.arbybean.com

Comment

Here's one place that seems to deal with EL, no mention of price though:

http://www.tridentdisplays.co.uk/home.shtml

another one:

http://www.controlanything.com/html/lcda128.htm

Arby, if you figure it out, let me know. I may be interested in buying one from you (if you are interested that is).

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: tbone ]

Comment

I know I can buy the screens with an EL backlight, but I'm looking for places that sell the El sheets so I can do stuff myself
                  www.arbybean.com

Comment

Oh, sorry about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X