svga vs vga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svga vs vga

I am looking to buy a vga extension in order to hook up my lcd in my car and somebody told me to make sure I get good quality shielded cable. I have looked a bit online and found tons of places selling extension for what looks like a good price. I guess my question is how can I tell what is good shielded cable and what isn't. Also would svga cable be compatible with standard vga?

Thanks

The "standard" in displays is for no more than 12 feet of cable between the monitor and the video card. This is especially true of older video cards. Since the explosion in computers used for presentations, newer cards have a higher output signal; I regularly run through 25' of cable with few problems. Check out www.extron.com for more info, but don't let them scare you into thinking you need all kinds of expensive pieces to make it work. Usually the simpler, the better. As far as cable, avoid really cheap, thin cables. You want the largest gauge cable possible, especially for the analog video lines. Better cables also have better shielding, which should help reject radiated noise in the car (and there is A LOT of radiated noise in a car). As far as the difference between SVGA and VGA cables, it boils down to attenuation. Attenuation is to bandwidth as impedance is to resistance. Attenuation is a measurement of how much signal loss occurs over a given run of cable. The lower the attenuation, the bigger signal (higher bandwidth) the cable can pass. This won't make much of a difference over the relatively short distance in a car. And many manufacturers use the terms interchangeably. You will most likely wind up with an "SVGA" rated cable simply because it will exhibit more of the other qualities (better shielding and larger gauge wires) that you require. Hope this helps
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Working...
    X