Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best 7"?

Hi Folks,

Big Noob here. I have no experience with these monitors. There are lots to choose from and I have only seen one "monitor" in a car...and it was a Garmin GPS. I would like to mount something in the dash...either directly on the surface, or in a pop-out (non-motorized). Seven to eight inches would be best for my application. What do y'all think is the best price/performance out there?

Also, I see that there are lots of ways to provide regulated power. To purchase something that connects directly to battery power, is there a vendor of choice? I don't want to get into using my PC power supply, or building something I have to put in a separate case. I just want to purchase a P/S (automotive +12 Vdc) and hook it up to the battery.

Thanks, I appreciate your input...

Regards,
    -- Scott
    -- Scott

Lilli ******* Put!

Comment

Usually these screens need regulated 12V... so hooking them directly to the battery could fry them ! Either use a regulator or the 12V from the computer's PSU.

Do a little of search.... this is the most discussed subject in here...
      Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
      Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
      Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

The way I've percieved it is that Lilliput is great, but Xenarc's are even better (but at a premium!)...
        depends on your budget, I guess.
        1995 Ford Mustang Convertible
        DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

Personally I found the best screen to be the one that suits your need and that you found by a little searching.

But...
          If you need a screen monuted in a case Liliput is best for price, Xenarc for quality.
          If you're going to strip the case and mount it in-dash, then the AU Optronics screen is the best so far, but MP3CAR.com store have a similar (even brighter) unit on the way so it might be worth waiting for.

For powersupply a "simple" POL PSU will do, both Carnetix and Opus have 'em.
          Liliput comes with a cigarette lighter adapter, dunno if Xenarc do too or if they are any good.

/M

Comment

to hook up to your computer you want vga and you probably want a touch screen. To be able to see it in daylight you should get 400nits or higher (and these are still hard to see in direct light).

Just look at what mp3car.com sells and check out digitalww and then for information on the ones that seem affordable to you.

Most commonly used here seem to be Xenarc, lilliput.

If you want to save a few bucks you can get the Ebay "Super" 7 - I have one and I think it's great but I have heard others have had problems with them.

There are probably 200 threads talking about this already.

You definately need to: and read the FAQ's!

Comment

Originally posted by gbh
              to hook up to your computer you want vga and you probably want a touch screen. To be able to see it in daylight you should get 400nits or higher (and these are still hard to see in direct light).

Just look at what mp3car.com sells and check out digitalww and then for information on the ones that seem affordable to you.

Most commonly used here seem to be Xenarc, lilliput.

If you want to save a few bucks you can get the Ebay "Super" 7 - I have one and I think it's great but I have heard others have had problems with them.

There are probably 200 threads talking about this already.

You definately need to: and fead the FAQ's!

how cute a noob is tellin a noob to search LOL

Comment

By the way: whats better - Xenarc, or Lilliput?

I havent seen this question asked for ages now...

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                  Lilli ******* Put!
                  Not Xen Freaking arc? Why F'n not? Thanks for the freakin input.
                  -- Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X