Modifying Xenarc Case -- tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Xenarc Case -- tips?

OK, this might be a little off-topic, but here's the scenario.

I have an 01 Jetta, and if I remove the stock headunit, I have almost enough space to fit my new Xenarc. Unfortunately, I need to take 3/32" off both sides of the plastic Xenarc case to make it fit. There is space, and I'll even be able to keep the front and back together (not while I'm modding!), because there will be enough left for the case screws.

Any tips or suggestions? Current plan is to take a radial arm saw to the case (gently!), and shave off the required amount. However, I'd rather not have to make a custom bezel if i don't have to, so help is more than welcome!

Thanks!

Chris
    cej102937

I would go your current route, shave it off and see how it goes.. my first install was pressure fit, and it was nice. you can proably get away wioth 1/32 off each side.. then the last one will just keep it snug ..
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Why cant you trim the dash? that would be the much safer route.

Comment

It's a big jump to mod your non-paid for dash. the dash on the jetta is all conected if I remeber.. if it goes south you're kinda screwed.. but if you jsut mod the screen.. you can revert back to stock real easy...

am I right? CJ?
        Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Definately
          a new dash cost a lot more than a new screen would thats for sure.
          Cause im not american i dno how much 3/32 is but can u sand it? prob alot safer thn a huge saw lol

Comment

3/32 is about 2.38mm.

Comment

I agree. Know anyone with a heavy duty belt sander? that would be the best route.

Comment

hahah dude wats with you and power tools lol
                sanding off 2.38mm takes 5mins with some sandpaper

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=16

You could do what i just did with my lilliput in my GTI
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by 2loud2old
                    hahah dude wats with you and power tools lol
                    sanding off 2.38mm takes 5mins with some sandpaper
                    it would take 3 seconds with a floor standing belt sander, and would be straighter then any other tool if done correctly...

Comment

As one poster said, the VW stock dash is made out of big, curvy, expensive pieces. The actual headunit area is smaller, but I'd much rather not cut it if I don't have to.

I really like the idea about pressure fitting. I think I might somehow mount the stand in the back of the screen, but a pressure fit sounds really really nice.

Belt sander, huh? That sounds like a great idea. I'll ask around at work.

Heh, a while back, I found a driver's-side sun visor, and mounted the screen inside, but it came out sooo bad... ugh! I think you need a truck with truck-sized visors to pull that one off! So now, I'm trying to mount it in the dash. Hopefully this goes easier (and faster!). If I completely destroy the thing, well, then I get to learn about about custom Bondo bezels, what fun!

Chris Jastram
                      cej102937

Comment

belt sanding -- a little off topic

One more thing (even more off-topic). I've never used a belt sander. Other than the basics, like keeping fingers and eyes away from the belt, what's the "right" way to use one? I suppose I'll figure it out, but off the top of my head, it involves clamping the piece, and using firm, careful pressure against an alignment bar on the sander.

Most of the stuff online is about handheld belt sanders. I already have one of those, and consider it fairly useless for this task.

Chris Jastram
                        cej102937

Comment

Working...
                        X