TV Out Overscan (NVidia Based Cards) - Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Out Overscan (NVidia Based Cards) - Info

Just a little info for anyone with an Nvidia based (TNT-1 / 2 a. GeForce 1 / 2 / MX) using TV-Out to NTSC LCD Screen:

You can overscan to get FULL screen using a software called: TVCC 2000 or TVTool 5.

If your card has the Chrontel Chip (CH700X)for TV out, you must use TVCC 2000 and it is FREEWARE.

If your card has the BrookTree (with BT869 or BT868) for TV out, you must use TVTool 5 and it is SHAREWARE (10.00$ US).

This software supports NTSC and PAL.

I have tried this with my Abit Siluro Geforce 2MX. It works perfectly. Important note: If you have twinview, make sure you disable it. There is also a command line to start the TV-out. I have put this in my Win Startup group. Works like a charm. Now I get the full 5" of my screen.

Check it out at: http://www.tvtool.de/index_e.htm

dekodan

i do 100% confirm this.
    tvtool 5 works perfect on nvidia based chipsets !
    time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

Really? It didn't work for ***** when I tried it. The screen wouldn't resize at all when I tried TVTool on my GeForce2 MX video card.

Comment

Worked for mine!
        1983 BMW 733i
        Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
        Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

It works fine for me, but i canīt display the picture in DOS mode. When it boots, the screen displays trash, a lot of flickering and B/W. As soon it enters Windows 98 it displays correctly, and soon as TVtool 2000 runs it switches to full-screen. Anyone knows how to solve this? My Video card is a Daytona TNT2 with the Chrontel CH7005
          mpt

Comment

will any of this software work with other cards?? i have a Jaton Trident PCI (POS!!) and it would be cool if i could get it to overscan w/ that software.
            2004 F-150
            Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
            "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Answers to a few questions:

1. Fourgig: Fiddle with it, it should work. Make sure that your regular TV-out is disabled. It took me an hour or so before I clicked. Unfortunately, the documentation for these software is not very good.

2. MPT: It won't work in DOS mode... As far as I know, ATI is the only integrated video card producer that supports DOS TV-out. I could be wrong.

3. RaZor: These particular software only work with NVidia based cards. Of this, I am sure.

dekodan

Comment

Originally posted by dekodan:
                <STRONG>Answers to a few questions:

2. MPT: It won't work in DOS mode... As far as I know, ATI is the only integrated video card producer that supports DOS TV-out. I could be wrong.

dekodan</STRONG>
                I went to the Nvidea site and found the Bios patch, then i read the readme file it went on the zip file and found out it solved some DOS tv-out problems for the TNT2 cards with the chrontel chip (by the looks of this the TNT2 cards displays tv-out on DOS). So i virtualy upgraded the BIOS (on the zip file thereīs a TSR program that loads the BIOS patch and virtualy overrides the older BIOS). But it didnīt work out. I also found a TSR program (itīs for displaying tv-out on DOS in PAL or NTSC) on the chrontel site but itīs meant for CH7001,2,3 & 4 chips. mineīs a 7005...
                I execute it on mine and it wonīt change nothing.

I can live without TV-out on DOS since im using Win98 on my setup and probably Cobra 3.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: mpt ]
                mpt

Comment

I could never get it to work properly. It would either way overscan, and you couldn't control the position very well. POS. I have a Geforce2 MX Asus V100. It would be good if you could "stretch" the desktop to fit the Tele perfectly.....now that would be nice.
                  BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
                  bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

Sorry guys ... what exactly does overscan do again ?
                    -James-

Tech tips and more - http://www.techguys.ca

*NIX command for today: rm -rf /bin/laden

Comment

JamesB

By overscanning, you get rid of the black bands that are around your image. All NTSC signals from PCs are underscanned to make sure that the image fits all screens. The drawback is that you never use the full potential of your screen.

In a TV set, the image you see is actually bleeding behind your plastic case, this ensures that you get use of all of your screen, although a bit of it is cropped off.

Therfore, by overscanning, you are bleeding the image off all sides of your screen and using the full surface.

Did this make sense?

Dekodan

Comment

Question guys. When u decided on these cards, what was the reason you guys didn't get ATI based card ie. ATI all in wonder pro...... Seems like everyone i know with these cards have all sorts of problem. My two ATI card in two diff box works fine out of the box no special sort of configuration or what not. Bootup and signal is out on TV and faster than it puts it on regular PC monitor anyway i will wait 4 your response
                        abcd-1
                        Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Charles:

For me, ATI sucks. I find their driver support sucks. It took them 3.5 years after the release of their [email protected] series to supply OpenGL drivers. I also have an ATI PCI TV Wonder card, still havent seen stable drivers (have had the card 2 years now). I spoke to one of their technicians one day who candidly told me that they almost always release hardware before it is truly ready. I also know someone who works in their marketing department who candidly tells me that their product is only average.

The All-in-Wonder is an OK all around card, but 3D acceleration sucks. Of course for a car, this is really not a problem. In my particular case, I take my PC out of the car to play with when I go away to visit family etc. So a good gaming card is a must! Therefore, Geforce baby!

This, of course, is my opinion.

Dekodan

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Enwesi:
                            <STRONG>Question guys. When u decided on these cards, what was the reason you guys didn't get ATI based card ie. ATI all in wonder pro...... Seems like everyone i know with these cards have all sorts of problem. My two ATI card in two diff box works fine out of the box no special sort of configuration or what not. Bootup and signal is out on TV and faster than it puts it on regular PC monitor anyway i will wait 4 your response</STRONG>
                            really want to know ?
                            i got mine tnt2 with tv out cheaaaaap !!
                            time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

will any of this software work with other cards?? i have a Jaton Trident PCI (POS!!) and it would be cool if i could get it to overscan w/ that software.
                              I would like to know the same thing... I know we can do it under the desktop-&gt;properties-&gt;advanced options, but it doesn't stay between shut downs. Anyone figured out how to keep overscan on for this cheapy vid card?

Comment

Working...
                              X