No announcement yet.

$99 Panisonic LCD Touchscreen (640X480)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $99 Panisonic LCD Touchscreen (640X480)

Mind you I am not the best engineer in the world so I am bowing out to those who have more experience. EarthLCDhas some Panisonic LCD's that look like they would be the perfect Carputer interfaces. I was wondering if any of our engineers could take a look at thisand tell us if we could make it work.

Great price, it's VGA, and touch screen. To good to be true?

You'll need a controller card. See the section about interfacing on the same page you posted.

Also the data interface appears to allow each R, G and B pixel to be turned on and off, never illuminated with half intensity, eg, so don't expect photo quality output (either spatial or temporal dithering software may help). Basically, as is, the interface allows 8 colors per pixel (black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white).

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ok, forgive me. I'm no better off than when I started. Are you telling me that this display is basically a 8 colour LCD? So the best I could do would be EGA? Or am I missunderstanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippman:
        <STRONG>Ok, forgive me. I'm no better off than when I started. Are you telling me that this display is basically a 8 colour LCD? So the best I could do would be EGA? Or am I missunderstanding?</STRONG>
        Yes, that is my belief. Check out page 8 of the specs. Notice only one bit per r, g, b pixel in the data bus waveforms. Then notice on page 7 that the digital output to the screen is 1920 by 480 (640x3 by 480), ie, one bit per R, G and B. And section 3.5.4 on page 10 confirms this more.

Rob
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Guess it's true that you get what you pay for. If I could get 256/12bit color I would be happy.

Comment

Working...
          X