Install/Power in dash LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install/Power in dash LCD

I've never done a radio install in a car and was thinking of buying an in dash LCD.

http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-700H.htm

Looking at the photos(http://www.digitalww.com/images/DWW-...losed_side.jpg) all I see is a USB(touchscreen) and some PS/2 looking wire coming out of the back of this thing which I believe connects to a included VGA cable..

My question is how do I power this thing? I noticed other in-dashes(http://www.digitalww.com/images/DWW-K301_back.jpg) have a 2by3 molex-style connector w/ power, gnd, acc, etc.. I imagine this is standard for radios? and when i remove my radio there will be one of these connectors attached to my existing radio? Is this true, there being a standard 2x3 radio connector for power/gnd/acc/etc...? Ive seen/heard of wiring harnesses, will I have to get an adapter to convert from my cars wiring harness type to the in-dash lcd's type?

Also when looking at the photos of the included wires(http://www.digitalww.com/images/DWW-...cessories.jpg), i only see VGA and and a couple RCA.

I am very confused because the scriptions states it comes with usb, vga, video, and power wires.

Oh and if I have a head unit AND the in-dash, and only one wiring harness... how do I get two harnesses?

Thanks.
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Something's pluggin in there to power it.. http://www.digitalww.com/images/DWW-...ccessories.jpg

See the small red wire at the bottom of the middle pack of wires? Wire that up to your +12v (preferrably regulated).

-arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

So if that is the case, then I would not need two harnesses, but I would probably need a bigger PSU(I was going to get the m1-atx, which has 2A on the 12V rail).. I would be using a m10000, and a 3.5"HD. I think those alone push the 12V rail to its limit, no?

ps. you got good eyes.. i stared at that pic for awhile and didnt see that red wire.. looks a little thin for a power wire.
      B Smoov

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

FYI

I contacted digitalww about the LCD and they didnt have any further documentation online but they did confirm there is a PWR/ACC/GND/SAFETY wires.. The safety being a wire connected to the ebrake so that the monitor will not display if the car is moving.

I requested getting the manual online.. we'll see if that happens. that'd be cool.
        B Smoov

Comment

Originally posted by buurin
          The safety being a wire connected to the ebrake so that the monitor will not display if the car is moving.
          Riiiight...

-arebelspy

Comment

Gotta make sure i dont forget to connect that safety wire!
            B Smoov

Comment

Originally posted by buurin
              Gotta make sure i dont forget to connect that safety wire!

Doesn't everyone pul over to check their GPS's screen?

-arebelspy

Comment

I have that screen and it does not have a safety wire as far as I can see.

Works nicely though.

There is however 4 wires. Ground (black), 12v+ (red), ACCC (green i think) and another ground which is Blue if i remember corectly.

Not exactly sure on why it has 2 ground wires listed, I can scan the booklet I have when I get home if you like ?

Also why would you run this from regulated? Its built for use in a car so it should really be fine off the standard 12v power source. I mean I can understand a computer not being able to because its not built for the varying voltages but this is designed to fit in a din bay in a car, it has to be built for it.

Comment

Originally posted by claymen
                  I have that screen and it does not have a safety wire as far as I can see.

Works nicely though.

There is however 4 wires. Ground (black), 12v+ (red), ACCC (green i think) and another ground which is Blue if i remember corectly.

Not exactly sure on why it has 2 ground wires listed, I can scan the booklet I have when I get home if you like ?

Also why would you run this from regulated? Its built for use in a car so it should really be fine off the standard 12v power source. I mean I can understand a computer not being able to because its not built for the varying voltages but this is designed to fit in a din bay in a car, it has to be built for it.

How do you have yours hooked up? Off a powersupply?

I was thinking of hooking mine up to an accessory source, like the cigg lighter for a while (Hardwired behind the cigg lighter obviously). Will this work? I'm just worried about a power surge or spike and a smoking 700H

And whats everyone take on an 'inline' fuse on the 12v red wire if I went this way?

Later down the road I'm going to put a full PC in the trunk, but right now all I got is a screen, laptop and inverter Not the best setup I know, but it's all I got/can afford right now

Hopefully hooking it up this afternoon, I'll try and get pic's up later after I do it for you guys

Comment

Well most LCDs expect regulated power... I figured since this is in a DIN case it would expect a raw 12V from the battery, however it is so cheap I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt include a regulator in it.

And that 2nd ground wire IS the safety wire. At least thats what digitalww told me. Somehow you connect it to your ebrake... Basically I think if it is not grounded then your monitor will not come on(i suppoose you can try it).

Powering from the cig isnt a bad idea. I really really dont want to connect it to my PC PSU.. One because I dont want to run power from the PSU, and two because I dont want to put a 1A draw on the device which will already be running a 3.5" HD.

good to hear it works well, i hadnt heard of anyone using it. cool. is the left/right tilt useful? thats why i think i'll like it more than the motorized w/ no left/right tilt.

anything I should know about installation?
                    B Smoov

Comment

Yeah, I don't think it has a regulator in it.

I just tried wireing it up to the cigg lighter and didn't get anything.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can hook it up to a power supply in the house? I have one of those universal ones that I set the voltage on, it can output 12v DC. Would that work?

Comment

you said you hooked it up to the cig power... did you ground both 'ground' wires (safety, and real gnd)?

I just got an email from digitalww saying:
                        "(12V power) doesn't have to be regulated."

You might want to check the manual .. hooking up to cig power should work in my opinion.

And any 12V power supply that can source at least 1A should be able to power the monitor. I dont know about the ACC/Safety wires, you'd probably need to put 12V on the acc, and ground the safety+gnd wires. Read the manual though so you dont mess something up .
                        B Smoov

Comment

burrin, got it working, I hooked it up the way you said too. Screen powers on fine, nice and sharp.

I can't get the touchscreen working, the included drivers from DWW are horriable at best. I upgraded to the egalax drivers, still no dice. Tried them on 2 differnt computers, nothing. I'll update again if I ever get it working.

Comment

at present im running both my car pc's M1-ATX and the lcd from a 300W ATX psu for testing.

I havent had any problems with getting the touch screen working.

And yer I would have assumed the lcd could run straight from the car power because of the wiring diagram in the manual. It says to run the power from the battery. So going to tap into where my deck powers from and wire everything up. The screen tilt is brilliant imo, tilts very well up/down left/right so will be good to position it directly in your view to try and help with glare etc.

Comment

yeah keep me updated on the touchscreen issue.
                              B Smoov

Comment

Working...
                              X