VGA to RCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA to RCA

Hi in my car i have 2 normal (Non VGA) 7" monitos. And I'm going to fit an in car PC with the a VGA touchscreen. Is there any method to covert the VGA signal to the normal monitor signal (RCA wire)

damn noob! rtfb dammit!

Comment

Ok, so not everyone knows everything right away. And yes, you should search first so you don't ask questions that have been answered multiple times.
      What you need is a scan converter. You can pick one up at a computer store or your local RadioShack, part number for Radioshack is 25-3085.
      2001 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird WS6

Comment

Easiest way: get a video card with TV out.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

or if you get any of the EPIA boards most have rca out which can be used at the same time as the VGA when setup correctly.

Comment

best
            t way would be to sell the composite units and buy 2 new vga units off ebay. scan converters work for **** on lcd panels that have a non conforming resolution, such as the 7" widescreen. you would be disappointed with the results.

Comment

The only way to get video to play on multiple monitors is via a scan converter. I have been where you are and have tried everything else. The ONLY thing that would work is a VGA to TV converter. I have a vga monitor up front and two composite 8" screens in my headrests....and no, you will not be disappointed in quality since the primary purpose of headrest monitors is to play videos or vizualizations....both of which look perfectly fine on composite monitors.
              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
              - Alpine W200/H701
              - ED Nine.2X
              - OZ Matrix Elites
              - ED Nine.1
              - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                The only way to get video to play on multiple monitors is via a scan converter. I have been where you are and have tried everything else. The ONLY thing that would work is a VGA to TV converter. I have a vga monitor up front and two composite 8" screens in my headrests....and no, you will not be disappointed in quality since the primary purpose of headrest monitors is to play videos or vizualizations....both of which look perfectly fine on composite monitors.

No you can enable the rca out on the EPIA board and have it set to show the same screen as the VGA out. Then you just split the signal on the rca to the 2 monitors with a simple rca Y cable. You do not need to run it to a scan converter since the signal will be just as bad as the on board rca out. Plus you dont need to worry about powering another device.

Comment

Originally posted by bad-at-this
                  No you can enable the rca out on the EPIA board and have it set to show the same screen as the VGA out. Then you just split the signal on the rca to the 2 monitors with a simple rca Y cable. You do not need to run it to a scan converter since the signal will be just as bad as the on board rca out. Plus you dont need to worry about powering another device.
                  The epia onboard video card does not allow for video to be displayed on multiple monitors...you have to choose either the composites or the vga to display the video.

This is concerning video ONLY (like movies, music vids, etc.). You will still be able to see your desktop and other programs on all monitors, but as soon as you go to play a video...it is either/or. This is going to be a problem seeing how the headrest monitors' main purpose is to allow rear seat pasengers to watch videos.
                  PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                  - Alpine W200/H701
                  - ED Nine.2X
                  - OZ Matrix Elites
                  - ED Nine.1
                  - Idmax 12's

Comment

The epia onboard video card does not allow for video to be displayed on multiple monitors...you have to choose either the composites or the vga to display the video.

This is concerning video ONLY (like movies, music vids, etc.). You will still be able to see your desktop and other programs on all monitors, but as soon as you go to play a video...it is either/or. This is going to be a problem seeing how the headrest monitors' main purpose is to allow rear seat pasengers to watch videos.
                    wouldn't it be easier to just run a dvd player to the headrest composite units?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity
                      wouldn't it be easier to just run a dvd player to the headrest composite units?
                      Installing a DVD player in your car in addition to a computer is actually much more difficult than simply plugging in a VGA to TV converter. The converter is plug and play...they even have some that are powered through the USB connection (I prefered to free up USB space and hard wired it to the 12V rail on my power supply).

The DVD player will consume more power and will require you to have actual DVD's...limiting you in your selection of the things you can and can't watch. If the rear monitors play off of the PC, you now have a huge hard drive that could be loaded with tons of music videos, divx movies, shows, etc. In my car, for example, I watch music videos all the time and I have my playlist set to random...I don't think I've seen the same video twice in the last three months.

What if you want your vizualizations playing in the back? Try doing that with a DVD player.

EDIT: Also, doesn't your computer have a DVD player? You shouldn't waste the money on redundancy, but an add-on DVD player for the rear seat passengers that runs in addition to the PC on the back screens just in case they don't want to watch what your watching wouldn't be a bad idea.
                      PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                      - Alpine W200/H701
                      - ED Nine.2X
                      - OZ Matrix Elites
                      - ED Nine.1
                      - Idmax 12's

Comment

Installing a DVD player in your car in addition to a computer is actually much more difficult than simply plugging in a VGA to TV converter. The converter is plug and play...they even have some that are powered through the USB connection (I prefered to free up USB space and hard wired it to the 12V rail on my power supply).

The DVD player will consume more power and will require you to have actual DVD's...limiting you in your selection of the things you can and can't watch. If the rear monitors play off of the PC, you now have a huge hard drive that could be loaded with tons of music videos, divx movies, shows, etc. In my car, for example, I watch music videos all the time and I have my playlist set to random...I don't think I've seen the same video twice in the last three months.

What if you want your vizualizations playing in the back? Try doing that with a DVD player.

EDIT: Also, doesn't your computer have a DVD player? You shouldn't waste the money on redundancy, but an add-on DVD player for the rear seat passengers that runs in addition to the PC on the back screens just in case they don't want to watch what your watching wouldn't be a bad idea.
                        I realize the dvd player would be both redundant and limited, since you could only play dvd movies, or video on a disc that the player could read. But the OP wanted a solution to use his comp. monitors with a vga output. I was thinking the whole scan converter thing was a bad idea, only because his 7" lcd's native resolution is what I call a bastard resolution, meaning non standard (640x480, 800x600, etc) and the image would look like crap due to this. I thought all scan converters output was 525 lines of resolution (standard tv) and anything that is not evenly dividable by this would result in an image that would be blurred, jagged, off center, etc.
                        I have very limited experience with these, the only product I used before was a cheese box, on a 7" lcd about 5 years ago. I am sure the technology has changed, but I still think true vga is the best option in the long run.

Comment

This is true. I have my scan converter running to two 8" composite lcd screens and the image is fine. Text is a little fuzzy, but that's not what the screens are for. Tehy're not touchscreen, they're just for viewing videos occasionally....and videos look fine (like your watching regular t.v.), so the screens are good for what they'd be used for. Vga screens in the back headrests would be way overkill and cost a fortune. I got both of my screens for $200 and they were built into the matching leather headrest.

Do you know where you can get a cheesebox from? I was thinking about getting one for my rear view camera because my monitor doesn't auto switch.
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

3onDUBS

Tried to PM you but your box is full....

Hey, I see that you posted about having multiple screens for your setup. I originally had my setup (same mobo) with the touchscreen upfront and a 7" tv screen in the back. Had to make some adjustements to the BIOS to get this to work. The signal from the VGA went to the touchscreen and the S-VIDEO went to the rear screen. The video was ok for the rear, (only used to play movies). I saw your post on the scan converter and was wondering. do you run the 2 rear screens and the front touchscreen all off the scan converter? I just read this at work today. I have a scan converter at home and I'm gonna try it out when I get home. I just wanted to know if I could get some tips or tricks since you have had some experience with this. Do you have any pics of the setup? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Sorry for the long message.
                            Car PC Progress

(>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%

"Don't speak about it, be about it"

Comment

Do you know where you can get a cheesebox from? I was thinking about getting one for my rear view camera because my monitor doesn't auto switch.
                              I bought mine from www.avtoolbox.com
                              don't know if they still carry them or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X