Getting hold of lots of ccfls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hold of lots of ccfls?

My lilliput is getting dimmer daily as far as I can tell. Since I have plenty of space I'm thinking of getting hold of a bunch of ccfl + inverters and simply mounting them behind the screen at a reasonable distance to avoid heat damage and to ease the diffusion problem having stripped off all the existing diffusers/ccfl to expose the lcd panel.

Anyone done this before? Or know a good place to get suitable ccfls/inverters at a reasonable cost?
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

CCFL's do not generate the kind of heat you are thinking. They are cool to the touch when on. Cold Cathode Florecent Lamp. Cold being the key word.
    If you were to chop your lcd for the project you mention, you will need to remove the back cover off the lcd and leave it bare. The light needs to be as close to the panel as possible in order to be effective. You will also need to build some kind of cover to keep the light concentrated forward to the lcd. Just putting the lamps behind the lcd won't be as effective. Your Lilli has a thick plastic sheet of film on the back, and I don't think light can pass through it.
    Mounting the lamps away from the lcd won't do you any good. That would be like putting the spark plugs of an engine in the exhaust manifolds. Pointless.
    If you wanted to try what you mention, plan on spending 15.00 to 30.00 each for the lamps, and anywhere from 20-80.00 per for inverters.

Comment

$80 is way more than I want to pay for an inverter! But under $50 for lamp+inverter would work for me. I could then get up to 4 to make a really bright display.

The main reason I was thinking of mounting the ccfl's further away from the LCD is that a guy I work with who has been investigating the what options are available to make more daylight readable LCDs as part of his job said that reduced the unevenness of the light across the LCD and so you can get away with less diffuser. If the ccfls are all mounted in a light box, I don't see why mounting them further away (and I do have plenty of space) would give me noticably less brightness. However more diffusers definitely would.

Comment

When you say away from the panel, how far?
        How wide is the panel itself?

Comment

As far as distance goes - whatever works. It depends a bit on the ccfls I get as to how I can arrange them evenly. But I'm only thinking 3-6 inches.

It's the standard 800x600 lilliput.

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
            As far as distance goes - whatever works. It depends a bit on the ccfls I get as to how I can arrange them evenly. But I'm only thinking 3-6 inches.

It's the standard 800x600 lilliput.
            no, what I ment was how wide is the actual panel in inches? not the resolution, or diagonal measure, but the actual physical size.
            and at 6 inches away from the lcd panel?? too far to be of any use.
            try 1/2" or so to be the most effective.
            Send me a pm with your panel measurements please.
            ty

Comment

Working...
            X