This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc back light life expectancy ?

What is the estimated Xenarc back light life expectancy ?
    Any real life experience ? ( good and bad )
    Is it better to leave it on 12hrs a day or turn it on/off every time
    as needed ? ( 20-30 times a day)
    Thanks

Remaining life depends on how old the panel is, and how long it was used before the monitor was assembled. Xenarc (and Lilli, Super, etc etc) all use refurbished panels in these monitors. So, you don't know how much use they saw. Ever wonder why so many posts are here re: dead/dim lights?
    A backlight (CCFL) takes more power to start up, and that is the most abusive part of it's operation. Just like a car. You will do more wear in the long run if you were to start and stop your engine 20-30 times a day compared to leaving it running. Of course in the case of your monitor, heat will kill it quicker if you leave it on 12hrs. a day. So, you are now in a catch 22. Kill the lamps sooner by turning on/off all the damn time, or leave it on all day and give it a heat stroke.
    Good luck!

Comment

hmm, should I worry about ventilating my in-dash Xenarc install? Perhaps I could get a fan in there...
      CarPC #3: 99% Complete
      Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
      DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
      OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
      Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
      500+ full albums
      4,000+ video games
      music videos, movies, & more!
      old carPC

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity
        Remaining life depends on how old the panel is, and how long it was used before the monitor was assembled. Xenarc (and Lilli, Super, etc etc) all use refurbished panels in these monitors. So, you don't know how much use they saw. Ever wonder why so many posts are here re: dead/dim lights?
        A backlight (CCFL) takes more power to start up, and that is the most abusive part of it's operation. Just like a car. You will do more wear in the long run if you were to start and stop your engine 20-30 times a day compared to leaving it running. Of course in the case of your monitor, heat will kill it quicker if you leave it on 12hrs. a day. So, you are now in a catch 22. Kill the lamps sooner by turning on/off all the damn time, or leave it on all day and give it a heat stroke.
        Good luck!
        Wow, I didn't know that they use refurbished panels ... How do you know that ?
        Mine is installed home so heat is not issue...

Comment

I do remember some old threads describing the ghost image of the Jurassic Park video game from WAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day...
          CarPC #3: 99% Complete
          Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
          DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
          OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
          Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
          500+ full albums
          4,000+ video games
          music videos, movies, & more!
          old carPC

Comment

Originally posted by ITL
            I do remember some old threads describing the ghost image of the Jurassic Park video game from WAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day...
            You talking burn in? I hope not as I never seen or heard of this on an LCD panel?

Comment

CCFL life is about 20-40,000 hours. There is a half life effect on CCFLs where they gradually die. The main cause of damage is over current to the tube which causes heating. A ccfl needs to be warm to work properly but too much current will significantly lower the life. Some automotive panels use this overcurrent/heating effect to warm the tubes for the 1st few minutes to make the screen readable.

I very much doubt that Xenarc use refub panels..I am sure that lilliput used to many years ago but how many damn second hand panels must there be to keep them going? also. xenarc would not get away with charging that much for their screens.

If they were refurb LCD then they would replace the CCFL anyway.

Comment

Soooo.... turn it off or leave it on ?

Comment

well if you leave it on your battery will go flat!

Comment

I'm using AC adapter so that's no problem

Comment

well think of the environment then and stop wasting electricity - damn americans!

Comment

hey now!!
                        Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
                          hey now!!

Comment

I'll spent my earned money my way !

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisfun
                              I'll spent my earned money my way !
                              don't get me started boy!

the UK makes me sick at how much energy we use...just imagine how the USA makes me feel!

Comment

Working...
                              X