LCD Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Controller

Hi, i've searched and searched everywhere, and i cant find a controller compatible with a Sharp LM12S389 LCD...
    this is my problem, i have the chance of buying a toshiba satellite 12.1" LCD for U$S40 ITS REALLY CHEAP, but i dont want to buy it if i cant find a controller, or if the controller costs more that $200 because then i would buy a LCD screen designed for car use for just a little more money and it will look better...

so any ideas? avice? PLEASE I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO BE ABLE TO USE THE TOSHIIBE 12" IT WOULD BE GREAT!! PLEASE HELP!!!

maybe with a graphics card? something like that? heeeellllpppp

perhaps you can find what you need here http://store.earthlcd.com

but from what i understand, what you want to do is not cheap.
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

ok, there is a controller there from analog to digital, but how do i know if it will run with my Sharp LM12S389 LCD ?

and if it runs, i think its still cheaper than buying a complete LCD monitor, its 199 for the controller plus the 40 for the LCD still cheap, i think...

here in my country LCD monitors dont come down from 250....

Comment

You can try to contact them to find out about the compatibility between devices.

I've contacted them for inquiries via email in the past and they came back to me quite promptly.
        EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

ok i sent the mail... i guess it will be a while for them to answer it...

using a controller is the only way to use a laptop LCD? isnt there a graphics card like a gforce or something that can cope with LCD directly ?

any ideas?

Comment

Check out this review and the controller he references...
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69938

Comment

not to burst your bubble, but the Sharp LM12S389 lcd panel is DSTN, which is not a very good panel. If you are just using it for text, it is ok, but otherwise, you may want to consider TFT if you are going to spend the money on a controller.
              To answer your question RE: a video card supporting lcd panels direct. No. Not the retail units anyway. There are some ISA and PCI cards made for direct panel connection, but they are very limited as to mewmory, and the type of panel supported.

Comment

my intention is just to use a OBD gauge display (CarMM) and maybe the frodo player...

but i ont understand, its from a laptop, it should work fine with graphics... shouldn't it?

and for a DSTN and a TFT i need different controllers?

Comment

Originally posted by novolo
                  my intention is just to use a OBD gauge display (CarMM) and maybe the frodo player...

but i ont understand, its from a laptop, it should work fine with graphics... shouldn't it?

and for a DSTN and a TFT i need different controllers?
                  older laptops used dstn, or stn panels. they are cheap.
                  a controller will most likely only support stn, or tft not both. Not saying there are not controllers out there that can do both, but they are the exception rather than the norm.
                  stn or dstn has a slow response rate, and a poor contrast ratio. not to mention they are usually very dim compared to tft. Not a good chice for graphics, but it will work none the less.

Comment

ok thanks, that cleared it up for me... now annother thing... i found on the kontron web, they sell a controller for tft lcd laptop monitors... and this card has an optional ttl support... what is this ttl support? do i need it?

Comment

TTL is the type of interface.
                      TFT lcd panels use 2 different and distinct types of signal input.
                      TTL and LVDS.
                      TTL means Transistor-Transistor Logic
                      LVDS means Low Voltage Differental Signal
                      LVDS is more common on laptop panels, and is easier to configure a controller for. Also, LVDS allows for longer lcd panel cable runs if you need to mount your controller away from the panel. TTL can be about 14" away from the panel, whereas lvds can be up to 15ft. without an amp.

Comment

Working...
                      X