Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Lilliput faulty?

Hi everyboby,
    I am a new user and this is my first post. I've a question regarding Lilliput Touchscreen model 629 and about touchscreen in general.
    I bought my monitor a week ago and I'm not to much satisfied because the images that it displays seems to be noisy and not clear and sharp as on a standard desktop LCD.

I've never saw a touchscreen monitor before except on internet so I can't judge if my monitor is faulty or not.
    The seller says that according to him the monitor is perfect but I would like know your opinion...

I made an example... http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/esempio.jpg

Does your lilliput shows images like the one on the right of the example? Or clear and sharp as the left?

Thanks for replying and sorry for my bad english...

Ciao. Fabrizio

PS I made a lot of searches and I've found nothing at all...

Bad english excused, Your english is better than my Italian.

I am not familiar with your particular screen. The example looks grainy.

There are a few things you can check out/try, well its my initial troubleshooting thoughts anyway.

Firstly, are you running through video out or a standard VGA monitor out into the LCD? RCA will result in lower quality..

What resolution are you trying to run? Lower the res, and see if it improves. Im not sure what this LCD is capable of.

Is it running in your car or on the workbench?

There could be a bad power supply or interference on the power circuit. If you are running video cables near power cables this could be the result.

I suggest, if you havent already, running it on a desk, changing res and outputs to see if theres any improvement, if not, send it back.
    Originally Posted by feral
    And for some other name's, how about
    'Free-way'

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying...
      The image on my monitor looks grainy as you said.
      I use VGA exit, with a short cable to avoid disturb. I use native resolution set by powerstrip (800x480) and also tried every regulation inside menus.

I used both the cigarette lighter adapter (plugged into a molex of an atx power supply) and the standard power supply 220ac/12dc...

Thanks for your advice, tonight I'll try to keep signal cables and power cables as far as possible.... and also I'll try to plug the monitor to another pc...

I hope to solve the problem soon....

Ciao. Fabrizio

Comment

I tried to connect lilliput monitor to another pc but the result is always the same... unfortunately...

Ciao

Comment

Nobody wants to post his opinion? Please help...

Comment

Can you inspect the TS surface while power is off, and see any irregularities?
            Note that there are tiny dots in a grid array. I think they electrically bind the upper surface with underlying address wires.

Does this happen with an internally generated screen (blue screen or menu, perhaps)?

Can you take an overexposed digital photograph in a darkened environment?

Comment

The cables on the Lilliputs aren't great... especially if they have the DIN connector. This causes the ripple of the image.

The crispness of the image is affected by two things.
              1. Resolution. Depending on the screen it may not run at a standard resolution. You will need to use a program like powerstrip to create a custom resolution like 800x480 (7" widescreen touch TFT)
              2. Touch sensitive surface. The glass that houses the touch sensitive surface does affect the image. It reduces brightness and viewing angle. But normally the effect is not drastic.

Can you take a picture of the image to show what is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by jcrews98
                Can you inspect the TS surface while power is off, and see any irregularities?
                Note that there are tiny dots in a grid array. I think they electrically bind the upper surface with underlying address wires.

Does this happen with an internally generated screen (blue screen or menu, perhaps)?

Can you take an overexposed digital photograph in a darkened environment?
                Hi, surface doesn't have irregularities and I can saw the grainy effect even when i enter the main menu without powering on my pc. I thinks that the problem is about monitor and not regarding setting of pc such as resolution, refresh and so on...
                I took some photos and now I'm uploading them on my website... I'll give you the links in minutes.
                The problem is not so clear watching photos so I made an example image ( http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/esempio.jpg ). I used green, just as the color of lilliput menu. A normal monitor shows images like the box placed on the left; my lilliput shows grainy images as the box on the right...

Hi and thank you... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Enak
                  The cables on the Lilliputs aren't great... especially if they have the DIN connector. This causes the ripple of the image.

The crispness of the image is affected by two things.
                  1. Resolution. Depending on the screen it may not run at a standard resolution. You will need to use a program like powerstrip to create a custom resolution like 800x480 (7" widescreen touch TFT)
                  2. Touch sensitive surface. The glass that houses the touch sensitive surface does affect the image. It reduces brightness and viewing angle. But normally the effect is not drastic.

Can you take a picture of the image to show what is happening?
                  Hi, I know that lilliput cables aren't great and I set also correct resolution on windows. My problem, unfortunately, is visible also when I enter menus even with pc turned off.
                  I have a 14" desktop lcd touchscreen at work and the image is a little bit darker than a standard lcd but doesn't have grainy...
                  I'd rather to know if other people that owns a lilliput 629 has the same effect...
                  Thanks a lot for your reply :-)

Comment

These are some photos shooted last night...

Here in 8 MPIXEL resolution:
                    http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/IMG_1711.JPG
                    http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/IMG_1712.JPG

And here a little bit smaller:
                    http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/IMG_1711mini.jpg
                    http://www.fabrizioortelli.it/IMG_1712mini.jpg

Hi and thank you... ;-)

Comment

I didn't suspect the VGA connection, and it does look like you have some fault in your video controller. It's probably a Panasonic panel, so other 629 owners probably do not see this effect. I'm not sure what might make it do that. It could be just a bad signal cable connection inside the housing.

edit:

It might even be as simple as the backlight spreader sheet(s). Do you see that pattern on full black? Full white?

Comment

A simple suggestion...

I don't have a Lilliput, but have had two different 7" LCD screens now, and both of them had a piece of plastic film over the screen for protection in shipping. They caused a bit of graininess until I removed them. Look closely at the edges of the screen to see if there's any air bubbles that you could peel up with a pocket knife.

Probably not it but I figured I'd throw it out there...

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

Originally posted by jcrews98
                          I didn't suspect the VGA connection, and it does look like you have some fault in your video controller. It's probably a Panasonic panel, so other 629 owners probably do not see this effect. I'm not sure what might make it do that. It could be just a bad signal cable connection inside the housing.

edit:

It might even be as simple as the backlight spreader sheet(s). Do you see that pattern on full black? Full white?

Hi, I can see the "effect" only on when monitor shows bright colors, on black or any dark color the images doesn't look grainy...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cMags
                            A simple suggestion...

I don't have a Lilliput, but have had two different 7" LCD screens now, and both of them had a piece of plastic film over the screen for protection in shipping. They caused a bit of graininess until I removed them. Look closely at the edges of the screen to see if there's any air bubbles that you could peel up with a pocket knife.

Probably not it but I figured I'd throw it out there...

Hi, I read an italian forum and some user has thr same problem. A couple solve them by removing a transparent film placed on the screen.
                            It's a strange thing because It doesn't seem to exist on my monitor...

I decided to not send back my monitor to the seller and tonight I will try to understand if there is something sticked on the surface, outside or inside the panel...

Thanks so much to everybody.

Ciao...
                            Fabrizio

Comment

I was wondering if there was any update to this issue.

I originally ordered an 8" touchscreen and it had a massive grain texture to it. I thought it looked terrible so I returned it and ordered a different touchscreen. This new one looked perfectly clear so I thought the first one must have been faulty. However, it had some dead pixels so I returned that one too. My replacement has the grainy texture again. Argh! I am not shipping this screen out to Hong Kong (again), but I was hoping there was a solution to this poor image quality.

It looks as if there was a film, producing a rainbow grain texture, and causing the image to blur. Now, I had the exact same touchscreen model look perfectly clear before... don't know what to do... been searching the forums high and low...

Comment

Working...
                              X