Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increasing 8" Lilli's Brightness.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Increasing 8" Lilli's Brightness.

    I have this 8" Lilli monitor. The specs say that it has a brightness of 350 cd/m2.

    This site sells 8.4 inch replacement CCFL's that are rated at 38,000 cd/m2. Now assuming these CCFLs fit the Lilli, would it be possible to just replace the stock CCFLs with some brighter ones? These guys cost $10 a piece. If it would work, it might be an upgrade a lot of people could do themselves and which would be very inexpensive.
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

  • #2
    Cool. I've been wondering where to get extra backlights for my (now very dim after only 9 months of use) 8" lilliput. I'm intending to get multiple backlights and multiple inverters and mount them behind my lilliput after stripping it off all the existing diffusers etc and adding new diffusers as necessary.

    The backlight may be 38000cd/m2 but the result once it's been reduced by the diffusers etc is probably the same brightness as you currently have since you really do lose that much once it's lighting the whole screen through diffusers.

    Or another way of thinking about it - if it were as easy as $10 to go from 380 to 38000, everyone and their dog would have done it by now.
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Arathranar
      Cool. I've been wondering where to get extra backlights for my (now very dim after only 9 months of use) 8" lilliput. I'm intending to get multiple backlights and multiple inverters and mount them behind my lilliput after stripping it off all the existing diffusers etc and adding new diffusers as necessary.

      The backlight may be 38000cd/m2 but the result once it's been reduced by the diffusers etc is probably the same brightness as you currently have since you really do lose that much once it's lighting the whole screen through diffusers.

      Or another way of thinking about it - if it were as easy as $10 to go from 380 to 38000, everyone and their dog would have done it by now.
      You may be right about the end result.

      A few minutes ago I emailed the company that sells the backlights. I pointed them to the spec page for the Lilli, too. Since these guys are presumably experts, I'm really curious to hear what the come up with for suggestions.

      I'll share their response here when I hear back from them. If need be, I'm sure arrangements could be made to send them a screen and see what they can do with it.
      8" Lilli TS
      MB896F Mini-ITX MB
      2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
      1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
      Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
      ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
      Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
      Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
      3COM BKP Cam

      Comment


      • #4
        Talk to scouse or jcd. I don't know about ccfl's, but I had read all that thread about upgrading and concluded that not only could I not wait any longer for an upgrade, but I didn't see the ccfl's as being a super easy solution for me. That plus I have heard of the government doing it with luxeons. I just know that I had looked at all the ccfls and found what looked like solutions, but the over riding problem seemed to be dimming them, mounting them and getting enough power to them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DaveB
          I have this 8" Lilli monitor. The specs say that it has a brightness of 350 cd/m2.

          This site sells 8.4 inch replacement CCFL's that are rated at 38,000 cd/m2. Now assuming these CCFLs fit the Lilli, would it be possible to just replace the stock CCFLs with some brighter ones? These guys cost $10 a piece. If it would work, it might be an upgrade a lot of people could do themselves and which would be very inexpensive.
          Does your Lilli panel use 1 or 2 ccfl's?
          Have you removed them?
          I ask because a lot of the smaller 7-8" panels use a shaped ccfl. I know a lot of them are "U" and some are "L" shaped.
          If your lamp(s) are straight, the 8.4" lamp you referenced will not fit. It will be too long.
          Also consider that the brightness of the lamp is decreased by 25-30% through the lcd panel.

          Comment


          • #6
            I received an email back from the site that sells the CCFls and those guys are totally lame. Very disinterested in making any sales at all. I would recommend shopping elsewhere.
            8" Lilli TS
            MB896F Mini-ITX MB
            2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
            1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
            Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
            ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
            Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
            Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
            3COM BKP Cam

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Motorcity
              Does your Lilli panel use 1 or 2 ccfl's?
              Have you removed them?
              I ask because a lot of the smaller 7-8" panels use a shaped ccfl. I know a lot of them are "U" and some are "L" shaped.
              If your lamp(s) are straight, the 8.4" lamp you referenced will not fit. It will be too long.
              Also consider that the brightness of the lamp is decreased by 25-30% through the lcd panel.

              Motor,

              At the time I had my monitor apart I never looked at the lamps. Now I wish that I had.

              I'm half tempted to purchase another monitor just to play around with it. I'm pretty creative at solving problems and I like a challenge. It might be something fun to play with.
              8" Lilli TS
              MB896F Mini-ITX MB
              2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
              1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
              Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
              ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
              Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
              Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
              3COM BKP Cam

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dmcdlrn
                Talk to scouse or jcd. I don't know about ccfl's, but I had read all that thread about upgrading and concluded that not only could I not wait any longer for an upgrade, but I didn't see the ccfl's as being a super easy solution for me. That plus I have heard of the government doing it with luxeons. I just know that I had looked at all the ccfls and found what looked like solutions, but the over riding problem seemed to be dimming them, mounting them and getting enough power to them.
                That thread started with a very restrictive requirement - to make it all fit into the existing housing. If you have plenty of space to play with the options increase significantly and hence the cost decreases. I'm intending to build a lightbox using multiple CCFLs. I just need to find the time to research the possible off the shelf CCFL and invertor options. Sometime posted a nice ladder CCFL at one point that look really great. The major cost appears to be the invertor(s) so finding a cheap multi-lamp invertor will probably be the hardest part.
                Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arathranar
                  Cool. I've been wondering where to get extra backlights for my (now very dim after only 9 months of use) 8" lilliput. I'm intending to get multiple backlights and multiple inverters and mount them behind my lilliput after stripping it off all the existing diffusers etc and adding new diffusers as necessary.

                  The backlight may be 38000cd/m2 but the result once it's been reduced by the diffusers etc is probably the same brightness as you currently have since you really do lose that much once it's lighting the whole screen through diffusers.

                  Or another way of thinking about it - if it were as easy as $10 to go from 380 to 38000, everyone and their dog would have done it by now.
                  lol, even if you forget about the diffusers etc, you're not "going from 380 to 38,000 cd/m^2". that's the light output per unit area. the 38,000 is per area of the CCFL tube. if you've ever looked at a CCFL output chart (ie on Mouser), you'll notice that the smaller diameter tubes have more cd/m^2. That's not because the bigger ones give less total output than the smaller ones, it's just because the surface areas of the bulb are different. And the 380 cd/m^2 refers to the output through the rectangular screen - whatever it's surface area is (it's NOT the same as the surface area of the bulb, I guarantee you, it's much more). but, it is true what you said - you lose a TON of light to the diffusers and the TFT LCD itself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just got these from ebay and am planning to change the "U" shaped lamp with these 6 10cm ones i took out of the casing and use them in my 8" lilliput.
                    Lamps : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=013
                    Inverters : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=003
                    What would be the best way to do this ? i was thinking of making strips of plexiglas like the one thats in there now to sit in between the new lamps running the full length of the lamp and maybe i little bit of glue to hold it together in the ends.
                    Not doing carpc anymore

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X