using an alphanumeric display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using an alphanumeric display

well i've searched untill my eyes are bleeding and still can't find the answer to my question.

So i was looking for a backlight 2x20(or so) LCD alphanumeric display. I wanted to use the printer port (serial i think right). anyways looking through some of the other posts i found this driver/plug in

http://www.markuszehnder.ch/projects/lcdplugin/

now for the screen is what i had a question for. With the suggested screens i've tried to search for them but they seem to be missing the contoller (i dont even know what that is and i'm not even sure i need it). is there anyone out there that has done this kind of display that could help.

All i want it to do is display the time, song, maybe artist and playlist.

Thanks in advance

Printer port is parallel, not serial.

Try Matrix Orbital or Crystalfontz. I'm pretty certain they'll have what you want.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah most of the parallel ones are HD7780 chipset. I have a 40x2 VFD that runs on the same protocol and pinout. It is designed as a "drop-in" replacement. It does the 8 custom characters and everything. I'll sell it to you since I don't use it anymore.

Comment

well i was looking at the screens there and they are as much as 100 bucks. for that price its kinda getting into the relm of the non vga 7" display for 169. I was hoping to find someone that has bulit one and put it into there system. I'm on a budget using primarly existing parts ( but who isnt huh ). I already ruled out the 7" displays for now becasue of costs. maybe someone else has a suggestion?

thanks for the fast replies though you guys are awsome.

Comment

nice that would be awsome. yah posted the relay when i was still writing the other response. email me. i think i have it turned on at the moment

Comment

Ok, we can work out the details via email.

Comment

Screens that are serial or USB and ready to plug in to a PC can be pretty expensive, like you say, but you can get a bare 20x2 or 20x4 one for like $20. You have to make a proper cable to hook it up to the parallel port, which isn't too difficult - it involves a couple pots to control backlight and contrast, and maybe a resistor or two. I built my old system around a 20x2, and can help you out if you decide to go that route.

Make sure you get a transflective one for optimal daylight readablity (if you get the VFD this doesn't apply)

Llama, if derick doesn't want that VFD I might be interested

Comment

thellama, you wouldn't happen to have an extra cable laying around, would you?

oh, and i still havent forgotten about you concerning the soldering. I'm still working with the resins and the laser engraver to make the control panel. when that is done I'll contact you and send off the stuff to get soldered.

(sorry...back to your thread)
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

muchin, you handy with making the correct cables? I have an extra vfd if you want to work something out in trade.
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

OMG he's hi-jacking the thread hhahahaa just kidding.

thanks for the offer. you both have mail.

Comment

They sell them on ebay pretty cheap all the time, i found one goin for $2.09 from the UK once.

Just do a search for character lcd, alphanumeric lcd, or my favorite, hd44780, which is the controller which a lot of alphanumeric lcd's use, right now as I write this post there are a whole bunch going for under $16 CAD
                      Hey Laserlips, your momma was a snowblower!!

Comment

Originally posted by derick777
                        OMG he's hi-jacking the thread hhahahaa just kidding.

thanks for the offer. you both have mail.

hahaha...woops, i never (always) hi-jack threads. (sorry)
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                          muchin, you handy with making the correct cables? I have an extra vfd if you want to work something out in trade.
                          Sure. PM or email me with what you have in mind so we can stop the threadjacking

Comment

The cable isn't that difficult to make. If you are using the VFD then there aren't any components you need to solder, the cable is straight-thru. (The brightness is controlled in software)

Scott: I'm still willing to do that solder job. I'm busy at the moment but you are finishing stuff on it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                            X