S-Video Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-Video Question

I have a pc that will be in the car with both VGA and S-Video plugs in the back.

The TFT Monitor I'm looking at does not have VGA input, but has an AUX port that is S_Video.

Will windows allow me to connect to this monitor via the S-Video cable with no VGA cable?

Thanks,
    Todd

You should be able to do that most of my graphic cards I have will allow for this. Just go into your display settings and tell it to use the s-video out as the primary monitor.
    Hardware: VIA Epia MS 12000, 512 DDR, 60GB HD, 7" Xenarc, GM-210, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Radio Xtreme
    Software: Centrafuse2, Phonecontrol.net, nLite, TopoUSA 5.0, iGuidance, Girder, Winc

Comment

yes, but be aware that using the S-video output is a TV-out... in other words, composite video... you can search around for all the times the VGA vs. composite discussion has come up, but in short, composite does not look very good as a computer display. videos might be acceptable, but anything like the desktop and most programs will look fuzzy, and you probably won't be able to read any text that isn't quite large on the screen (ie-desktop icons). some people choose to live with it, but just be aware of what you're getting into. I lived with a cheap TFT display for a year or so, and had to use all sorts of cumbersome software tweaks and input devices to be able to interact with my system at all on that screen, and even with all that it was still difficult enough to interact with that it was quite unsafe to do anything at all with it while driving. now that I have a VGA touchscreen, I can do most of the things I need to do while driving without taking my eyes off the road for more than a moment at a time, and although spending several hundred dollars can be a bit of an investment, I would never go back to a lesser display.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

yeah with the new 8" lilliput, through s-video greens showed up weird and text was unreadable, but through VGA everything is perfect... What monitor are you looking at?
        nGhost - The FREE Frontend for Linux | Graphics Developer
        Linux ICE - The Car PC Distro | Team Member

Comment

I was looking at a 7" lilliput but am now looking at . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SP-71...50612538QQrdZ1

I love the zenarcs, but I can't get an 8" monitor in my dash - my opening is only 189mm.

Comment

Originally posted by toddwess
            I love the zenarcs, but I can't get an 8" monitor in my dash - my opening is only 189mm.
            so get the 7" xenarc, they're almost exactly the same size as the lilliputs... and the 7" ones are more common, and presumably the one that he was talking about anyway...
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Because the 7" Xenarc's width is 195mm. I've only got room for 189mm

Comment

are you going to be molding it in place? because if you're going to be cutting up the xenarc case I would bet you could cut enough off the sides to lose 6mm of width...
                eegeek.net

Comment

That is a good point, and has been one of my biggest areas of concern lately. I can't decide if I want to mold one in place, or get a 1-DIN size motorized display. If I go with the 1-DIN size I can mount my aOpen Mini PC in the dash right above it. If I get the one molded in place, I have to put the PC somewhere else. I wish I could decide!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X