Lilliput Powering Question With Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput Powering Question With Laptop

before my question, a quick background on the typical in-car pc hell i have faced... feel free to skip to the bottom if you please...

i had completed the fabrication and installation of my lcd within roughly two days of starting the project (quite the feeling of pride when you have very little fabrication experience). i am very technically proficient and work with computers as my profession, but luckily for me the gods were against me on this project. after one dead motherboard from a cracked USB connection, i obtained a new motherboard with an SIS chipset. of course, it did not take the rambus from my previous setup so i purchased new ram. that asus piece of **** motherboard wound up drawing its power from the 5v rail of my opus and would not POST correctly (or at least that's what OPUS tells me). refunded money from opus. purchased a new Dell proprietary motherboard for an Inspiron 5100 laptop that i had that and would no longer charge ($265), only to find the hard drive had failed in the process of the power short. i now have a new hard drive, have gone through 3 motherboards, and one new 512mb stick of DDR. regardless, my inspiron is now running and i'm ready to continue work on this god damn project and HOPEFULLY finish it.

Now for my question (i apologize for the exteme wordiness):
    since i was originally powering my lilliput off of a 12v from my Opus, i am now stuck between a rock and a hard place. i need to power the lilliput, but i am also trying to avoid as little modification to the laptop as possible (so it is still usable outside of the car). i understand that it is possible to use a 16/19v output from a laptop (where i do not know) along with the circut diagram under the 'Powering Your LCD' thread, but i would like to avoid this because i am fearful of damaging the laptop or rendering unusable outside of the car. i also understand that the egg is garbage. i have an old wal*mart (ugg) 400watt power inverter that i am going to attempt to power the laptop with, and i was thinking i could power the screen off of that inverter as well with the AC adaptor. i have read that the voltage is shakey, but i am still not completely sure if i can safely do it or not.

what is the easiest way for me to safely power this screen without an Opus? i know this has been touched on numerous times, but all the information i find when i search does not seem very conclusive (so i apologize in advance to anyone who is ready to hit me with the search smilie). thanks to everyone on this board for all of the great information.
    2.4 Ghz Celeron
    512mb RAM
    7" Lilliput
    Pioneer DEH-P7200 Head Unit
    Rockford Fosgate 500.2 Amp
    2 12.1" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVC Subs
    1 Farad Lightning Capacitor
    Infinity Kappa Speakers

Point of load DC to DC? You could also build a breakout for your laptop cable and steal some power, if you can find the connectors for sale somewhere. Run it through a linear 12V reg and you're all set.
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

You place alot of limitations on your choices. If you are going with the inverter for the laptop, then you might as well plug in the wall plug for the LCD. Inefficient, but least mods as per your requirement. It really is easy to construct a voltage regulator from a 16 or 19v (whatever your laptop needs) to 12v and will not damage the laptop as that is separate from it, but you don't seem interested in that path.

Good luck,
      -psyrex
      Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
      Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
      Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
      Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
      ...it never ends

Comment

i really appreciate the feedback guys. one last quick question... i am assuming you are talking about constructing a voltage regulator using the power directly after the ac adaptor? if it is easy like you said psyrex, i would likely choose that option. if you know of any information online on how to do this, i'd really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. thanks again for all the help!
        2.4 Ghz Celeron
        512mb RAM
        7" Lilliput
        Pioneer DEH-P7200 Head Unit
        Rockford Fosgate 500.2 Amp
        2 12.1" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVC Subs
        1 Farad Lightning Capacitor
        Infinity Kappa Speakers

Comment

Working...
        X