Good Price on a Desktop LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Price on a Desktop LCD

Compusa is having a sale on their cheapest desktop LCD.
    It is normally $299, but it is on sale for $279 with a $50 rebate.
    $229 aint bad for a 14.1 inch LCD. It is capable of 1024x768 and the brightness is 200nits. Check out the info at Compusa. The rebate is only good if purchased between 3/2/02 and 3/09/02. It can be ordered from the compusa website though. I used one in my pickup and it works great. Check out my site if you wanna see some pics of it in my truck.
    A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
    pics

Cool.

Wish I could fit something that big in my tiny car. Redo that bezel, and you'll have one hell of a setup.
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Thats what Im doing in mycar. Big screen looks so cool, flips people out when they see it

How is the screen powered? Mine is 12v too, but Im not sure about feeding it the unregulated supply from the car.

Comment

Hey tation,

Keep us posted on this project. I've considered moving my screen to the same spot, hoping it will kill some of the glare on the touch overlay at the angle it's mounted at now. Mine can be almost impossible to see in direct sunlight.

What are your plans for the dash bezel?

I haven't seen too many Rams with stuff like this, do you have any interesting links?
        97 Dodge Ram 13.8" touchscreen/DVD/GPS/TV/FM
        Some pics & details here

Comment

Right now, I am converting the 12VDC from the truck to 120VAC using a 300 Watt inverter, then from that I am using the power supply that came with the LCD. It converts 120VAC to 12VDC. This was a "Safe" and quick setup. I am powering the PC using the same inverter. I will either go with a DC-DC power supply or maybe use a desktop UPS as a tank circuit since it is supposed to be regulated.
          I could get the UPS for free because of died battries, then just put an extra car battery in the truck and hook that to the UPS.
          This way I could also have a built in way to shut the PC down using the UPS software.
          Then hook the extra car battery up so that I can charge it. I have no real "plan" yet, it is just nice being able to have GPS and MP3s in the truck without having a laptop sliding all around.
          I don't really want to cut my bezel, so I am going to get one from a junk yard and cut it. That way I still have my original one.
          Sorry Poolguy I don't really have any links to anywhere good.
          A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
          pics

Comment

Yeah Poolguy, I am happy with the location of the LCD. Their really is not much glare that I have noticed so far. I have had it in the truck almost 2 weeks now. One thing I do not like is the fact that at night cars beside me can see the screen. I am afraid a cop is going to pull up beside me and then pull me over to ask questions.
            Nice Dodge you have there Poolguy. I like the way you made the middle seat flip forward. I took mine out when I was looking for a place to put the PC, then put it back, right now the PC is just sitting behind the passenger seat. Just a normal, Dell mid tower 400MHZ PII, with 128MB ram, 5 gig boot drive with a removable 20gig data/music drive, Soundblaster live 5.1, 3dfx Banshee vid card, 10/100 3com NIC, SMC USB Wireless NIC, and a Logitec Marble Trackball. Plans to add a firewire slotload DVD and a TV tuner card.
            pics

Comment

Working...
            X