Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD gooseneck mount

Hey guys,

I just started installation of my PC and was looking for an easy way to mount my Xenarc 7" in my 03 Focus. I found a 19" Pyle gooseneck mount that installed in 5 minutes and is working great for me! In the future, I might just try to embedded it right in my dash (in place of my head unit), but for now this was a quick and convienent way to do it without losing my in-dash 6 disc. Best thing was the xenarc's mounting bracket fit right on the Pyle mount without modification.

I figure there may be others out there looking for the same. Here's an initial install pic:

Focus-of-Fury CarPC: EPIA MII12000, 512MB RAM, 100GB HDD, 7" Xenarc, ZoomPC Case, M2-ATX power supply, Garmin GPS 18 OEM, Buffalo Turbo G Wireless w/ 7.5 dB external antenna

Cool, How well does it maintain its position over a period of driving?

Comment

I've only had it in the car for 3 or 4 days, but it seems to stay exactly where I put it. The only issue I've had is the monitor will rotate a little if I hit it because the screw used to tighten the mount to the monitor seems to turn a little. Not a big deal, though.
      Focus-of-Fury CarPC: EPIA MII12000, 512MB RAM, 100GB HDD, 7" Xenarc, ZoomPC Case, M2-ATX power supply, Garmin GPS 18 OEM, Buffalo Turbo G Wireless w/ 7.5 dB external antenna

Comment

Originally posted by capnal
        I've only had it in the car for 3 or 4 days, but it seems to stay exactly where I put it. The only issue I've had is the monitor will rotate a little if I hit it because the screw used to tighten the mount to the monitor seems to turn a little. Not a big deal, though.
        Thats cool, I guess you can always put one of those star-shaped lockwashers under the bolt too.

Comment

Originally posted by capnal
          put a drop of blue or red loctite on the screw..that'll stop it from loosening due to vibration and such.
          Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
          macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
          14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
          Completly custom computer case

Comment

Seems like a good alternative. Does it get in the way if a passenger sits in the seat?
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Since it's adjustable, I can always move it over a little if there's a passenger. As the Focus isn't too wide of a car, I think it works pretty well that way. It just means less access to my cup holder. :-P A fair enough trade-off, I guess!

Comment

What about theft? Would having it out in the open like that make it easier for someone to take?
                ----------------------------------------------
                Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

I hope I can never answer that question. :-P I supose so, but if I was in a high risk area, I could always take the monitor off the mount in a matter of 10 seconds and put it under the seat, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by nameeri
                    What about theft? Would having it out in the open like that make it easier for someone to take?
                    The easier it is to take the less damage to your car. Exactly why when i get my dash stuff sorted out im not going to take the time and $ to fiberglass/bondo etc to make it look pretty. Just a matter of time before someone breaks into your car and destroys everything to get to your equipment anyway.

Make it easy to take, I once had a friend whos car got broke into and they couldnt break the strap on the back of deck so the dash and seats were all knived'. *shrug*
                    99 ram 5.9 turbo
                    P4 2.0, MicroATX, Audigy2nx, Monster Cable / Alpine.
                    Coming soon: Indash motorized, 5.1, dvdrw, gps, bluetooth, wifi, and more!

Comment

For anyone wondering where I found the mount:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/plgn-19.html

Comment

Thoughts after 2 months of use

It's two months later and I'm still happy with this mount except for one small thing-- the two screws holding the neck to the mounting bracket (the bottom bracket which is held to the ground by the seat's bolt) have come loose and the mount is swaying back and forth whenever the car turns. It shouldn't be hard to fix this, as the screws can be tightened, but I have to find a torx bit small enough to fit the small screws! Other than that, it's a great mounting solution that was easy to install.

Comment

Genious. Thanks.

Comment

Can you show us the mounting? I'm curious what it looks like.

Comment

since someone already moved up this old thread..... maybe you could put the signal-cable into some ribbon-stuff like the gooseneck its self, and maybe attach them together? think that would look cleaner then it is now.... just a thought.
                              Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                              CLARION HX-D2
                              CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                              CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                              CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Working...
                              X