Transflective Upgrade - THE RESULTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transflective Upgrade - THE RESULTS

Update: This is available now at the mp3car store http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=245

Okay folks, Here is what you have been waiting for. Not only you but me as well I promised to take pics of my screen and give you my honest opinion of the results of FPD's trioLCD Enhancement otherwise known as a transflective upgrade. So i made myself the guinea pig, paid 400+ bills and waited 3 weeks for my screen to arrive. After some tinkering and fiddling, I got my screen installed, got the touchscreen set up and im back in business!

First off let me just say that Nathan and the peeps at FPD have all been extremely helpful. They answered all my questions and offered help without me having to ask. They are good people to work with and definately take care of their customers.

Now, I took the pics at 6:45 pm after washing my car so the sun was setting ever so slightly. Its a beautiful clear day out here in SoCal. The sun is hitting the screen DIRECTLY through my rear windshield and lighting up my entire dash. You can see it in the pics. I DO NOT HAVE TINTED WINDOWS AT ALL!!! So this is the full sunlight on the screen. Also, I JUST WASHED THE CAR AND THE REAR WINDSHIELD IS CLEAN, you could eat off it. sooooo, here you go

This is a pic of the folder browser (Im using Mauris RR skin) looking at the screen head on

This is a pic of the screen with Prison Break playing on it. One of the most complained about things is watching videos when sunlight hits the screen. ****, it doesnt even fade the transflective!! This is from the drivers perspective

This is from a low angle looking up at the screen, you cant make out anything on the screen as the polarizer cuts out the light coming out. Who looks at their screen at this angle anyways??

The same location from a higher perspective looking down on the lcd, probably what would be seen from the passengers perspective

Another head on shot

and another

Here is a head on shot with me blocking the sun with my body

Here is from the drivers perspective but zoomed in. My nav screen

Same angle but of my Audio Player skin

Here is a shot of the screen without sun. the contrast is super enhanced as you can tell from the pic. I took this in my Garage.

Look at the contrast in this very dim shot...Prison Break, Lincoln holding a candle up to his face

And another shot

thats all folks. I think the pics speak for themselves. ITS DIRECT SUNLIGHT VIEWABLE!!! ALSO: Let me just say, as with everything the pics dont do this justice. It looks soooooo much better in person. Peeps who come out to the SoCal June 24th meet at HB will see with their own eyes. I welcome them to post back up here their thoughts.

I do however have some complaints.

1. The time it takes to do this process is long. I knew that going in, Nathan said it would take 3 weeks and it took exactly 3 weeks. But its still a long time. Oh well, cant rush this kind of stuff i guess.

2. Finger prints and dust become very irksome with the AR coating on the touchscreen. they stand out. So, that means that I have to keep the screen clean, again, this is part of the deal when doing something like this. I had this same problem in my Acura TL-S with the navi touchscreen.

3. THIS WAS FOOKIN EXPENSIVE!!!

THE END!
    ----------------------------------------------
    Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

looks promising, would've liked to see comparison before and after shots. oh well.

thanks for going through with this and posting the results.

i guess it's not night yet in cali, but let us know how the display is at night..
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

That looks nice, now you got me thinking because i have setup in my vic as yours.

Comment

before shots are in the other thread. They are shots of the screen before enhancement. Take a look. its the very first post.

COMPARISON SHOTS - BEFORE AND AFTER

Comment

good thing i have dual displays.

Comment

Looks great!
            Mine has been there at FPD a week, so I expect it back in a couple. I won't be pasting it back into an existing install, but it's really the last thing I need to get mine car PC up and goin' so I'll post pics as soon as I can - at least of it outside, even if it's not installed.
            Oh, mine didn't start out life as a Xenarc. It's an 8.4" from an LCD TV

Comment

This shot makes me regret i did not send my Lcd in while i had the chance.

Comment

now the upgrade becomes apparent:
                Attached Files

Comment

it looks like there is a ton more sunlight in the picture to the right, that is impressive
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                  Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                  Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

how much did it end up costing??

im impressed..

Comment

is it too late for us to send in our LCDs?
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

Comment

I'm flying out to LA later this week to see this for myself and work on making it a product for the mp3car store. Hopefully we will have a sunlight readable LCD product ready it ship about three weeks after that.

Comment

I know this is a complete filler post, but that is just un f-ing-believable. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                            it looks like there is a ton more sunlight in the picture to the right, that is impressive

Yeah, the first shot was taken during an overcast day without DIRECT light. And the second pic was taken with DIRECT light. You can see what a difference this enhancement makes.

@tj!2k4: Thanks for the side by side comparison pic. Im too lazy to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by romul
                              how much did it end up costing??

im impressed..

total price for lcd enhancement and new enhanced TS is $440.69 USD

EDIT: For my 7"

Comment

Working...
                              X