Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will A Mount for A Xenarc Screen Work For A Lilliput?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will A Mount for A Xenarc Screen Work For A Lilliput?

OKay, this is basically the one step thats holding me back from installing my setup in my car, so I am very anxious....

http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.c...2f687d57a24802

Has anybody ever used the mount off of that site for GM Vehicles and a Xenarc screen on a LILLIPUT screen?

I have a Lilliput 629 7inch Touchscreen display and I really need to know if that mount will work for it or not. Im already a little shaky about taking apart the LCD case itself, so I would be very upset if I go thru all that and $100 later I'm left with something I cant even use....

Thanks In Advance!
    Carputer Progress
    [||||||||||] 100%
    Finally Installed!!
    Everything is in the car and working.
    I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
    Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
    View My Progress Here

no it won't work.
    iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
    CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Well not acording to this post in another thread:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...put#post617227

I just wanted to make absolutely sure before I ordered one. Can anybody else chime in with a Yay or Nay? Thanks!
      Carputer Progress
      [||||||||||] 100%
      Finally Installed!!
      View My Progress Here

Comment

Don't waste your money yet.
        According to the guy who make the WRX double din case for the Lilliput, the Xernac screen won't fit in that DD case.
        Therefore, the Lilliput won't fit in the Xernac case either unless it was design for both in mind (which I doub). It is because of the nut/bolts partern and/or controller board size.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Alright, so is there any pre-made mounts for a Lilliput that exist?
          Carputer Progress
          [||||||||||] 100%
          Finally Installed!!
          View My Progress Here

Comment

I got it to work

If you are reasonably handy with a dremel you will have no issues. In fact, I suspect if you open up communication with Mark before you purchase the mount that he'll be able to prevent any modifications being needed.

I told Mark that I had a Lilliput (the 629 flavor), and he asked me to measure the screen dimensions, and the active area of the screen. Once that was taken care of he made the display and shipped it to me (mind you, this is at this point a CUSTOM mount). The only problem was that (we) forgot to verify the location of the touchscreen, so I had to modify the mount a bit.

There was two small snags:

[1] the touchscreen cable slot was on the wrong part of the mount. I dremeled out a bit of the aluminum in the correct location and it fit with no issues.

[2] The controller board / button PCB had to be attached in a somewhat creative way. Basically I used 3 short rubber standoffs to attach the controller board directly to the plastic of the lcd mount, then I used 2 small zip-ties to secure the button PCB so it wouldn't flop around in the dash.

I have not attempted to wire up the buttons, so no comment on that. Once the display is set up, I don't see why you would need to get to the buttons so that wasn't an issue for me.

Unfortunately the mount is firmly attached to my truck so I can't show pictures of the internals right now. If anyone is really interested in some pics/measurements/etc. It'll have to wait until after the beginning of July. I'm going on a 2 week vacation in 2 days and I don't plan to take my truck apart unless something breaks.

Comment

Wow... Thank you so much for your reply... Actually me and Mark have been emailing eachother back and fourth and I believe we were talking about you! hehe What were the odds, huh?

I have a few questions for you, if you dont mind....

What kind of rubber stand offs did you need to use? And was that to secure the main board to the actual plastic of the mount itself? And was it really that loose to use the zipties? Or was that just an extra pre-caution...

And, when you say you had to drill, do you mean an actual hole? Or you just shaved off some aluminum to make room for the wires....

Sorry for the silly questions, but I just want to make sure. I think its funny that we happen to find eachother on here. I just asked Mark to email you and find out what model Lilliput you had. Im relieved to find out that you have a 629 just as I do.

After everything is said and done, is everything center'd the way it should be and looking good?

And if you can (if you have time ofcourse, if not then dont worry about it) would you mind taking a picture of your install? Dont rip anything apart, I completely understand not wanting to take it apart. But the finished product will do aswell

Thanks again for your time, I apreicate it.
              Carputer Progress
              [||||||||||] 100%
              Finally Installed!!
              View My Progress Here

Comment

Originally posted by we87
                Wow... Thank you so much for your reply... Actually me and Mark have been emailing eachother back and fourth and I believe we were talking about you! hehe What were the odds, huh?

I have a few questions for you, if you dont mind....

What kind of rubber stand offs did you need to use? And was that to secure the main board to the actual plastic of the mount itself? And was it really that loose to use the zipties? Or was that just an extra pre-caution...

And, when you say you had to drill, do you mean an actual hole? Or you just shaved off some aluminum to make room for the wires....

Sorry for the silly questions, but I just want to make sure. I think its funny that we happen to find eachother on here. I just asked Mark to email you and find out what model Lilliput you had. Im relieved to find out that you have a 629 just as I do.

After everything is said and done, is everything center'd the way it should be and looking good?

And if you can (if you have time ofcourse, if not then dont worry about it) would you mind taking a picture of your install? Dont rip anything apart, I completely understand not wanting to take it apart. But the finished product will do aswell

Thanks again for your time, I apreicate it.
                Hey, small world huh?

I actually don't know what kind of standoffs they were. I just happened to have some short rubber standoffs laying around. Anything insulating should work, actually. I bet rubber grommets would work if they were small enough, and they might be easier to find.

Yes, the reason for the standoffs was to secure the main controller board to the plastic of the mount. You could just screw it down, but I feared contact between the PCB and any metal - plus the LCD gets really hot so I wanted some room for air to move around.

Unfortunately the zip ties were necessary, since without securing it the metal on button PCB and the controller PCB would potentially touch and short something out. That's the kind of thing that would cause an intermittant problem at best, and fry your display at worst. I actually remember also feeling the need to use a couple layers of electrical tape to insulate, so that may be necessary.

Mark did ask me what model I have, and for a bunch of pictures, but I didn't reply yet as I'm not really wanting to take the whole thing apart and risk breaking something right now.

I didn't use a drill, I used a dremel to shave off a sizeable amount of the metal to allow the touchscreen cable to fit. It was localized to just the area around the cable though. It took maybe 10 minutes. If you do this, you will need to remember to smooth over the edges when you're done to reduce the risk of cutting yourself or the cables.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures of my install tonight, if I do I'll reply here again.

I hope yours ends up working out for you like mine did for me. I am impressed with Marks craftmanship - though the buttons are a little cheesy - I'm thinking of just painting over them to make it less visible.

Comment

Awesome... Sounds like alot more work than I initially expected, but I guess it is what it is... At least this will look good, which is all im worried about if I go the complete custom bondo route

By all means, dont take your install apart on my account. Like I said, I understand. If it aint broke dont fix it But if you ever do happen to take your dash off, remember to snap a few pics will ya'?

Since I have never taken my display apart, or seen the mount, I have no idea what your talking about when you say the zipties were so the PC Boards wouldnt touch. But I dont think I'll have a hard time figuring it all out once I have everything infront of me.

Thanks again for all of the info, I apreciate it.
                  Carputer Progress
                  [||||||||||] 100%
                  Finally Installed!!
                  View My Progress Here

Comment

Working...
                  X