"Shaping" LCD's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shaping" LCD's?

I don't think this is possible, but I'll ask anyway just in case...

If you cut an LCD screen to shape it to fit somewhere, it becomes useless, right? My guess is that it will leak "fluid" just like what happens with a broken watch. Am I right about this or not?

You are correct, sir

Comment

Well the lcd has contacts all around the screen, so if you cut the screen, you cut off some of the contacts..probably not the best idea..
      1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
      PC built into console
      worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Even if you crack an LCD it ruins it.
        I have a few cracked LCDs that I will donate to anyone wanting to try and shape them.
        :-)
        A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
        pics

Comment

i did hear of some company that was working on flexible lcd screens that were supposed to be used in "futuristic" clothing designs. kinda like making the consumer into the ultimate walking billboard. now, not only will you have the logo on your sweatshirt.... you get the picture.

i dont think that was the original motivation for the project, i think it was an art/fashion thing, but i dont see that possibility being ruled out by anyone in advertising.

~mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

you can have lcd's designed that are irregular shaped but i doubt you are gonna fork over the $ to do so

Comment

I believe i read somewhere that they are working on flexible lcd screens. Can't remeber where i read it, they even showed off a prototype(very cool).
              :p "Which ones the any key?" Homer Simpson

Comment

Yeah, I say the flexable LCDs in a magazine..... I don't think they were colour though, but I didn't really look into it...
                2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
                register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Flexible Screens

One of the technologies being used for flexible screens is LEP, or Light Emitting Polymers.

At it's simplest form, the technology is based on molecules of plastic, sandwiched between two layers of polymer, applied to a substrate such as glass or plastic. Unlike an LED, it doesn't have to be on a glass panel, and since the polymers themselves are light emitting, there is no issue with viewing angle like an LCD, and no backlighting needed.

The displays are literally created with an inkjet printer. The printhead sprays the R-G-B-C (Red, Green, Blue, Conductive) polymers to the screen backing, which is them sandwiched between the electrode plates. I believe Seiko-Epson is currently the manufacturer working with Cambridge Display Technologies (which holds most of the LEP patents) to supply this printer.

Some of the the really cool applications of this technology could be custom size/shape screens, flexible screens, roll-up television/HT screens, etc.

Another very cool thing is that the screen resolution is not limited to 72dpi. It can actually be produced up to 200dpi.

It's not quite there yet... some of the downsides include degradation of the display brightness over time, and the last I knew they were still working on the blue polymers. As of aout 18 months ago, they had the red and greens up over 10K hours, but the blues are still at around 2K hours before the brightness starts to diminish. I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is, but I know is has been progressing rapidly towards commercial/consumer applications.

In any case, it's really cool stuff... I want it now! :-) I wouldn't care if the screen surface "wore out" after 2000 hours of use as long as it was cheaply replaceable and the electronics driver package didn't need to be replaced.

-Mike

Comment

Oops... forgot the link

You can read more at:

Cambridge Display Technologies

-Mike

Comment

Wow, nice find!

Comment

Working...
                      X