Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD/Graphic LCD Question

I searched, but I'm lame and couldn't find anything

anyways, I wanted to see if anyone has setup a carpc strictly for mp3's using a VFD/Graphic LCD as a screen. Just curious to see people input on this.

I also found www.simmetry.com, who has Touch Screen Graphic LCD's, which looked pretty cool to me. I was thinking you could set it up for Next, Previous, Volume, etc.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Originally posted by blacklancer
    I searched, but I'm lame and couldn't find anything

anyways, I wanted to see if anyone has setup a carpc strictly for mp3's using a VFD/Graphic LCD as a screen. Just curious to see people input on this.

I also found www.simmetry.com, who has Touch Screen Graphic LCD's, which looked pretty cool to me. I was thinking you could set it up for Next, Previous, Volume, etc.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
    I considered something along these lines:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67243

The general view on this board seem be that carPCs necessarily come with VGA/graphic displays and using one of the frontends to manage the display.

If you want only mp3 functionality, it would be easier just to get an MP3 player and hardwire it into the car.

Comment

Originally posted by piabu
      The general view on this board seem be that carPCs necessarily come with VGA/graphic displays and using one of the frontends to manage the display.
      Considering that the early adopters of this hobby only had character LCDs to use, the newer VGA touchscreens are favored for the ability to actually see the OS. They provide for far mroe functionailty.

Nothing wrong with a character (or graphic) VFD/LCD. I intend to implement one into my ultimate plan, as well.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

some front ends actually have character lcd/vfd support, i know that centrafuse does for sure (i actually ahve two vfd's just sitting in my room tempting me to install them
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

i have a screen in my car right now, but its an alpine cva-1006

i have a spare pc laying around, and i was just thinking about adding it for mp3 reasons. i have an mp3 player right now, but it doesn't hold 80gb

whats a decent video card that i could plug into the rca jacks on my headunit?

Comment

Originally posted by blacklancer
            Of course you can. Take a look at my first install here. First display was a dot matrix graphic lcd. Second display was a 20x4 character VFD.
            Old Systems retired due to new car
            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

links not working for me.

Comment

Works now. NTL must have had issues.
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Working...
                X