Battery Dying because of LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Dying because of LCD

I have a problem with my car battery dying but its from the LCD rather than the computer...I had this problem a while back where my car kept dying, so i took out the computer and disconnected the screen...I thought it was the power inverter at the time...So now Im about to get a new power supply (DSATX) and decided to hook up at least the screen and my car died in one day...The screen is hardwired into to cigerette lighter...It didnt happen for a couple of months when I first installed the computer...BTW the screen is a Dynamix 7 inch.

Do any of you guys have suggestions on how to tackle this problem?

what I thought of:

A) Hook up the screen with the head unit (B/C the cigerette lighter is constant power source on american car)

B) Hook up the screen to the power supply ( But dont really know how to do that)

C) Put a switch on the power wire of the LCD to break the circuit ( i really hate this one because the reason for the power supply is to get rid of all the power switches)

Honestly, I getting to the point of abandoning the CARPC project because of all these technical issues...I have yet to truely enjoy the hobby and its been more than a year of installs and fab work...Any help is much appreciated...
    97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    P4 2.4
    Freetech MoBo
    DSATX 220W
    512 MB ram
    200 GB Maxtor harddrive
    Road Runner
    Iguidance 2.1
    EZSync 1.94

assuming you have a DC/DC power supply, find the wires that are powering your hard drive. The yellow wire is the 12v and the black is the ground. Hook it up to that and the screen will come on with the computer.

I would never ever hook the screen up to the cigarette lighter because the voltages are never constant. You will get a much better result if you power it off of the computer power supply.
    BossTone74

Comment

Thanks Bosstone,

I will try that as soon as I get the power supply in...I will post the results just in case anyone else is having the same issues...
      97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
      P4 2.4
      Freetech MoBo
      DSATX 220W
      512 MB ram
      200 GB Maxtor harddrive
      Road Runner
      Iguidance 2.1
      EZSync 1.94

Comment

Originally posted by pimpmode
        Thanks Bosstone,

I will try that as soon as I get the power supply in...I will post the results just in case anyone else is having the same issues...
        Or in the interim, just get an "Add-a-Circuit" and wire it to a fuse position that's only on with the ignition. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Another note, on my car, I have two ports (lighter, Power port), the lighter is only on with ignition.
        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

If you don't want to mess about with wiring or anything complex, this might be the solution for you...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rette&doy=18m7

You could also simply wire a relay into the IGN+ so that the screen only comes on when the engine is on.

'98 Peugeot 306
          Project Status: I sold it ages ago!

ShutControl

The ultimate shutdown control software for laptops.

Comment

Working...
          X