Why Disassemble your touchscreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Disassemble your touchscreen?

Obvious newbie question, but why all the FAQs on disassembling the touchscreen? Is this all just related to custom mounting in-dash? Why can't you just create a custom enclosure and place the touchscreen inside as is? Is the problem related to how to secure the screen with the factory casing in the enclosure?

In the case of the 619GL and others, with all of the connections and an IR remote built in, I don't understand the need to take it all apart and rewire / resolder everything to a different face plate.

Thanks!

when you take away the enclosure, it allows you to reposition some of the hardware as well as easily modify it (such as move buttons or take them out completely) depending on the specific need(s) of the install. It also slims things down for installing into most limited dash spaces. i shaved off about 2 inches from the sides when i did my laptop screen.
    Rep! Rep! My kingdom for some rep!

My WIP

Ghetto Carlaputer: (putting things together) 0% * * * * * * * */2 - - 100%
    Wife's patience: 0% * * * */2 - - - - - 100%

Comment

Because in order to make an install look factory, you must mold to the original front piece of the housing. no way around it.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

too.

My WIP

Comment

Okay, I understand the need if you need to make mods or slim down, but I don't understand Red's comment. Couldn't you just fab a housing that fits around the screen portion of the monitor?

The other questions I have are if you disassemble and reattach to a new housing, how are you securing the screen? Alternatively, are there brackets that can be used to secure the in-tact monitor?

My issue is that I am installing in an FX35 at a location where there is no monitor currently. I will have to cut the trim to make the monitor fit regardless, but I need to figure out a way to secure the monitor in place since there is no Double DIN hole and associated mount.

(I love the FX, but man, the console layout makes installs difficult!)

Comment

Couldn't you just fab a housing that fits around the screen portion of the monitor?
            -It's not always possible to do so that way.

The other questions I have are if you disassemble and reattach to a new housing, how are you securing the screen?
            - Usually use the old front bezel/casing/housing and attach (i.e. glue, bondo, staple, snot, whatever) to you're custom faceplate which should match with the rest of your dash

Alternatively, are there brackets that can be used to secure the in-tact monitor?
            -Yes but most likely you'll have to fabricate it yourself.

My issue is that I am installing in an FX35 at a location where there is no monitor currently. I will have to cut the trim to make the monitor fit regardless, but I need to figure out a way to secure the monitor in place since there is no Double DIN hole and associated mount.
            -Gonna have to use the search button, have a look at work logs, there should be something useful there which will give you some answers or at least ideas on what will work best for your setup.

My WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Uther View Post
              Okay, I understand the need if you need to make mods or slim down, but I don't understand Red's comment. Couldn't you just fab a housing that fits around the screen portion of the monitor?
              Sorry, that's not factory. The installs that I've seen where people have done this look ok, but it's not integrated very well. There's a gap around the screen and the dash piece. It just doesn't look right IMO.

The other questions I have are if you disassemble and reattach to a new housing, how are you securing the screen? Alternatively, are there brackets that can be used to secure the in-tact monitor?
              Sounds like you haven't taken apart a screen yet to understand how they are put together.

See here:

http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=15

You'll see how the screen is secured to the original housing. You use the original housing to integrate.
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

People (like me) take the screen out and use the front part to mod to the car then put back together. So that the screen look like it come with the car panel (radio bezel).
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 600E@750/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Uther View Post
                  Couldn't you just fab a housing that fits around the screen portion of the monitor?
                  Yes, of course you can. In my case I installed a bare panel, I had no front bezel, I had to fab my own.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Working...
                  X