Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

computer will only power when screen is powered by cig adapter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer will only power when screen is powered by cig adapter.

what gives? a fuse? everything works fine, screen flickers quite a bit more than it used to but i have no idea how to troubleshoot this... All i can deduce is that for some reason the cig adapter is completing the circuit. Their never was a problem before. The computer is powered on a direct fused line from the batter and the ground is in the hatch fyi.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Where is the screen being powered from if it is not the cig lighter? DO you have it hooked to your PSU?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

check your wiring again - especially the earths.

really odd problem. also try discconecting the screen fully as there may be some sort of earth problem with the vga connector.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        Where is the screen being powered from if it is not the cig lighter? DO you have it hooked to your PSU?
        That's the only way I power it for now. I had it hooked up to my PSU and then crossed the wires accidently and fried my M1 so im enjoying it working too much/im hesistant to f it up again.

Comment

too much draw?

if I understand this right, the computer works when you take the screen off of the PSU? that tells me either the screen has something wrong with it (but if it works fine when it's not connected to the PSU then it appears to be fine) or with the screen on the PSU it's pulling too much.

Are you positive that you have the proper sized PSU and proper sized wires for everything?
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
            too much draw?

if I understand this right, the computer works when you take the screen off of the PSU? that tells me either the screen has something wrong with it (but if it works fine when it's not connected to the PSU then it appears to be fine) or with the screen on the PSU it's pulling too much.

Are you positive that you have the proper sized PSU and proper sized wires for everything?
            I'm thinking along the same lines.

What kind of system are you trying to power?
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey View Post
              check your wiring again - especially the earths.

really odd problem. also try discconecting the screen fully as there may be some sort of earth problem with the vga connector.

earths???

i did try disconnecting the VGA from the back nothing changed. Another thing to note is that if i unplug the screen it completely cuts pc power.

Comment

The ground for your PC is bad. Best I can figure, it's getting little to no connection. It sounds like plugging in the screen is providing ground, which is bad.

Comment

too much draw?

Screen is not powered by the PSU at all.

Its the M10000, external cd drive (which i disconnected and it had the same results), usb hub, etc. Modest enough that the M1 can handle it. everything worked fine for two months, using an amp kit, right gauge, right fuses. I think its the car somehow/someway or screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa View Post
                    The ground for your PC is bad. Best I can figure, it's getting little to no connection. It sounds like plugging in the screen is providing ground, which is bad.
                    right it sounds like something like this might be the case, its grounded right to the chasis of the car. how would i begin to solve this?

Comment

Originally posted by wzcunningham View Post
                      earths???

i did try disconnecting the VGA from the back nothing changed. Another thing to note is that if i unplug the screen it completely cuts pc power.
                      i thought you may say that. does sound like you are earthing through the VGA. keep the screen completely unplugged and check all your earths.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey View Post
                        i thought you may say that. does sound like you are earthing through the VGA. keep the screen completely unplugged and check all your earths.
                        im not familiar with the term 'earths'

Comment

grounds....

the ground is earth the earth is ground...now take that and applit it to electrical terms.

It's a term the brits use for some reason...
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

earth = ground. ie the return path.

The outer metal of a vga cable connector is the earth. i think your pc may be using this as the return path for the current - maybe not all of it - prossibly just some part of the motherboard. Either way it is bad.

Check the ATX connector is in properly. Then check all the drive connectors. Then the wiring on the PSU and then the earth/ground connection of the psu to the chassis. By check i mean give them a proper pull, check screw terminalt are tight, check the continuityu with a meter etc etc. But do it all with the screen unplugged.

Comment

grounds....

the ground is earth the earth is ground...now take that and applit it to electrical terms.

It's a term the brits use for some reason...
                              hey, we like to use the term Earth is sounds more homely and goes well with our cockney accents, red double decker busses, black cabs and flat caps

Comment

Working...
                              X