Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone gotten the 800x480 on the SP13000 yet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone gotten the 800x480 on the SP13000 yet?

Searching through the forms I've seen people claim that that've gotten 800x480 on the SP13000, and then in the same thread people say they are full of it. Back and forth, Back and forth. It's been a whiile, sooooooo...
    "Has anyone gotten 800x480 on the VIA SP13000 to work yet?" If so, how'd you go about doing it (powerstrip, new drivers, etc). If you flashed the MB, do you have an .iso of your boot CD that you can share? Making one in XP is a royal pain (I tried to make one with Nero 6 and I got the stupid "Insufficient Memory" error). I even tried making my Sandisk Cruzier mini 256MB pen drive into a bootable device (to no avail).

After a lot of pain trying to create bootdisks and such, I flashed mine in windows.

I don't remember the flashing program, but it's the generic one for the bios brand.

Comment

Isn't it generally frowned upon to flash your BIOS in Windows?

Comment

Probably.

It's ultimately up to you whether to do it or not. I'm simply offering what I believe to be the easiest way to do it on the troublesome floppy-less SP13000.

Comment

I recently flashed my "old" abit kx7-333 bios from windows (win98se), and it worked perfectly. Just make sure you use the prog designed by the manufacturer of your motherboard, and that you do it after a clean cold boot (not after a resume from S3/S4)
          Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

I've owned countless computers, probably each a different brand, and I've always used the company's bios flash utility in windows with no issue whatsover. (save using advanced beta updates)

Like said above, a fresh cold boot and nothing running in the background will give you an easy trouble free flash.
            DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

Comment

After Flashing were you able to obtain the 800x480 like they claim it does, or does it still only do 640x480 and 800x600?

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoJoe View Post
                After Flashing were you able to obtain the 800x480 like they claim it does, or does it still only do 640x480 and 800x600?
                I've been using it for months after I flashed mine.

Comment

In my opinion it's impossible to use this resolution with this motherboard. VIA's tech support even says this. Also no one has been able to explain step by step how it could be achieved.

So until VIA releases a BIOS which is capable of doing this, it's a no-go. I requested this, but only getting absolute silence from VIA after the initial reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyeskimo View Post
                    I've been using it for months after I flashed mine.
                    If this is really true, please specify the used BIOS file (Mine is 1.07, latest on the VIA website) and the steps taken to get the resolution set.

Comment

Well I don't see what I have to gain from telling anyone that it works when in reality it doesn't... but I guess everything on the net's gotta be taken with a grain of salt.

It's a shame that CPUz's validator doesn't show the bios version (since their online database submissions are all validated), so I've just taken a screenshot as well

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=121819

http://jollyeskimo.kwazico.com/main....nshot.PNG.html

The resolution selection window is in the "list all modes" menu in the "Adapter" tab of the Advanced display properties window. Doesn't show up in the regular slider, it has to be set that way.

I'll have to double check which windows based flashing utility I used, but it's the generic one for the brand of bios used on the SP13000 (Award...CPU-z says Phoenix). EDIT: It's the winflash utility from this page: http://www.unicore.com/techsupport/award/awardutils.htm

As for BIOS version, I'm pretty sure it's the 1.07 since I still have the I1000107.BIN file saved up. Been using it since...december 05?

Drivers... latest ones from VIA as well.

Comment

Ok I believe you, sorry about that.

I'm using bios 1.07 as well. That mode just won't display on my carpc, not even in the 'list all modes' window. The closest match is 848x480 which looks crap.

You're the only person I know of who is able to choose 800x480 on a SP13000. Maybe the connected LCD makes a big difference as to what resolutions are available?

Can you tell me what settings you used for resolution and LCD/CRT-setting in the bios? It seems to matter a lot as to what resolutions are available in windows.

thanks for your input

Comment

BIOS is set at CRT only, all the other options shouldn't matter since they don't really apply (at least I don't think they do)

but in case they do, here it is anyways:
                          TV TYPE: NTSC
                          TV_Connector: S-video
                          TV Layout: Composite + svid
                          Panel Type: 1024x768

Connected to the 7" Lilliput TS

Comment

I'm trying to use the WinFlash program to flash the bios and I get a "flash block erase failure" error. Did you ever come across this or have any ideas as to how I might fix this? Is there somewhere in the BIOS or a jumper somewhere that I have to set so the BIOS can get erased?

Comment

I'm trying to use the WinFlash program to flash the bios and I get a "flash block erase failure" error. Did you ever come across this or have any ideas as to how I might fix this? Is there somewhere in the BIOS or a jumper somewhere that I have to set so the BIOS can get erased?
                              There's a jumper on the board labeled WP (write protect). It's located right underneath the three USB headers.

Here's the quote straight from the online PDF manual:
                              BIOS Write Protection: WP
                              This jumper allows you to protect from flashing the BIOS. BIOS Write Protection setting: pin1 = /WP & /TBL, pin2 = GND, short 1-2 (default)

top pin = pin1

Comment

Working...
                              X