Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on 7" indash before purchase.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on 7" indash before purchase.

have any one use one of this before. Would appreciate if someone could advice

VMI70A in-dash 7" TFT-LCD touchscreen PC VGA monitor
    *NEW* direct from the factory
    Features
    7" TFT LCD touchscreen display
    Resolution: 800x480 (native)
    Supported Resolutions: 640x480-1280x768
    Video Input: VGA input (15 pin D-SUB analog RGB interface)
    4-wire resistive Touchscreen (USB interface)
    PAL/NTSC color system
    Full-function infrared remote control
    On Screen Display Menu Control
    Automatic display angle adjustment
    High-Brightness CCFL Backlight
    2 AV/RCA video inputs, 1 audio Input
    3 month warranty
    Package Includes

Remote control
    VGA cable
    AV cable
    Power cable

Stylus
    CD with touchscreen drivers
    Operation manual

Post up a link or some pictures for a better responce as some monitors are re-named/re-numbered by different sellers.
    "This bloke said to me you haven't got a clue about the damage the soap bar can do to you,
    I tried to see things from his point of view but I couldn't fit my head up his arsehole too."

Comment

New In dash VGA TS for $325 what do you think

Link to store with vga,
      http://www.short-circuit.com/details...rs/vmi70a.html
      and the user manual
      http://www.short-circuit.com/manuals/vmi70.pdf
      Car PC Status {------- }0%

Car Died along with Autonode Monitor after returned to me. Worked for 3 Months then died again. The car engined died not long after!

Upgraded to 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
      Exploring options of a double din unit style Car PC.

Comment

That looks exactly like my SP-716, same manual with poor english translations. I'm pretty happy with my monitor. Some people have reported the plastic gears breaking, but mine seems fine. You may want to search on SP-716 here, there may also be other numbers for that screen.
        Carputer Project Status:
        0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
        Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

yeah it does seem to be the same as the SP-716; How was your install, good or bad?
          Car PC Status {------- }0%

Car Died along with Autonode Monitor after returned to me. Worked for 3 Months then died again. The car engined died not long after!

Upgraded to 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
          Exploring options of a double din unit style Car PC.

Comment

Elifromthevi,
            The install was as easy as installing a head unit, solder power connections, 4 screws to mount to a frame, hook up UBS, video, etc., then bolt the frame to the car. It was kind of tight to put it on top of my new head unit, but that was just the A/C stuff in my Pathfinder. You can see pics in my worklog (see sig below)
            Carputer Project Status:

Comment

[QUOTE=hohenyi;935151]Hi, I'm about to purchase a 7" indash for my car pc, have any one use one of this before. Would appreciate if someone could advice me on this thing. Thank You.

VMI70A in-dash 7" TFT-LCD touchscreen PC VGA monitor
              *NEW* direct from the factory
              Features

Hi people.

I am also about to invest in this above touch screen monitor. looks and sounds the part but how have you people found it?
              whats the quality like? and would you say it is reliable?

your response will be appreciated

cheers all

Comment

No problems with mine...
                Carputer Project Status:

Comment

seems I am the only one with problems on this screen.

bought it from ebay and the seller has dissapeared.
                  somebody knows yuki?????

Comment

Originally posted by hohenyi
                    Hi, does the thing have built in TV and FM? coz the operation mannual make it looks like it does. The diagram in the operation manual shows the unit is hook up directly to the car batt. did u followed or u used a DC to DC PSU. Please advice TQ in advance.
                    Mine has built in TV, no FM. The reception pretty much sucks for TV and I didn't even hook up the antennea for it once I mounted in the car. BTW, it's a PAL antennea and you will need an adapter you can get at radio shack(I think it is part# 278-261). There is a thread on that somewhere...
                    I have constant power to the batt and acc to the acc line, both with inline fuses. Seems to do OK for me. Your milage may vary.
                    Carputer Project Status:

Comment

The reception pretty much sucks for TV and I didn't even hook up the antennea for it once I mounted in the car.
                      Could it be that the reason the reception sucks is because the antenna is not connected?
                      New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                      SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

sounds like a very valid point. lol
                        Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by masch View Post
                          Could it be that the reason the reception sucks is because the antenna is not connected?
                          I hooked it up to a set of rabbit ears before installation in the car, when I was bench testing. The reception sucked so I didn't bother with hooking it up in the car.
                          Carputer Project Status:

Comment

Originally posted by walstib View Post
                            Mine has built in TV, no FM. The reception pretty much sucks for TV and I didn't even hook up the antennea for it once I mounted in the car. BTW, it's a PAL antennea and you will need an adapter you can get at radio shack(I think it is part# 278-261). There is a thread on that somewhere...
                            I have constant power to the batt and acc to the acc line, both with inline fuses. Seems to do OK for me. Your milage may vary.
                            Hi. I have little or no experience here, bu am looking to learn fast - My head-unit is dying, and I plan to replace it with a carputer. Still in the "Thinking" phase of the project though, (Saves money if this comes before the "Buying Phase"

So what I was wondering about this screen, is whether there is some sort of "firmware OS" (for lack of a better term,) that comes up before the PC comes on... I've seen a fair number of these in-dash screens, where there is a whole "Host OS" on it, designed to switch between inputs, and act almost like a head-unit. I think I would rather just have a "Passive" monitor, and let the PC do all the work of selecting inputs... Am I wrong in this thinking? Do I have to get a non-flip unit like the lilliput 7" for that sort of control, or is it available in a "dumb" motorized head unit?

Thanks,
                            -G

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are motorized liliputs (or other) that are nothing but a touchscreen monitor. Look in the MP3Car Store, I think the Xenarc will do, also the MTSVO-SC.

You would then need a TV tuner card, USB radio, rearview camera, and everything else running on/into the PC and it would handle all the switching. Ideally, I think that would be the way to go. I only use the VGA input and touchscreen on mine, so the rest is really a waste, to me.
                              Carputer Project Status:

Comment

Working...
                              X