Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detaching a laptop screen and locate it elsewhere?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detaching a laptop screen and locate it elsewhere?

Hi everyone, I've been hovering around for a while and posted twice so far, but I'm just about ready to plunge into the CarPC world. First off, I'm pretty sold on getting a laptop with Windows MCE to start, then building off of that. My screen of choice will be the Xenarc 1020TSV, which will fit perfectly in my dash bezel (with modification, of course).

The laptop I want to use is this one: the Acer Aspire AS3100-1033. It has a lot of nice specs to it, and it is pretty cheap (<$600). My only thought is that it is partly a waste since the 15.4" LCD will go unused. I'm not sure how the screen is connected internally, but I'm curious if a quality signal/power connection can be fabricated from the base to the screen if I put about 3' - 6' between them? I'm thinking that I would like to have the laptop base around the glovebox area or maybe even the center console and then use the 15.4" screen for rear passengers. I figure that both screens will display the same image... at least for starters.

EDIT: I found some pretty extensive info here on the site via Google. Odd that the forum's own search didn't find anything. Anyway, sorry for asking a repetitive question. My goal looks attainable!!
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
    Black. Loaded. 300C SRT-8 front-end conversion.

Please post a link to the information if you found it, would be helpful to me as well

Comment

yes, you can extend the lcd panel on that laptop.
      it uses an lvds panel, which can accept up to a 15ft. cable without a powered transmitter.
      I suggest building a cable rather than try to chop and extend the existing.
      The cable that is in there now is a bonded flat ribbon with very tiny wire leads going to a connector that is attached to the motherboard. Trying to cut and solder onto these little wires will prove to be a chore not worth the undertaking.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy911 View Post
        Please post a link to the information if you found it, would be helpful to me as well
        No prob.
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=lcd+ribbon

Originally posted by Motorcity View Post
        yes, you can extend the lcd panel on that laptop.
        it uses an lvds panel, which can accept up to a 15ft. cable without a powered transmitter.
        Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't also happen to know the exact type of cable I need to buy to fab up a new one, would you? I know it's lazy of me, I openly admit it, but if you can point me to a specific link... thanks much!
        2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
        Black. Loaded. 300C SRT-8 front-end conversion.

Comment

one of the best cables I've found for extending lvds is lvds scssi cable, but finding longer lengths without having to buy a 100' roll is difficult...

cat5 is actually a great cable to use with this too..., the twisted pair for each signal & return is good for this, & is designed for very high speed data without loss or interfearance...

once you start extending an lvds cable, you can start to get signal loss, the longer or crappier the cable, the more signal loss... this can be very dependant on the actual chip used on the laptop, but don't automatically think that you can extend it to 15' without issue.... this is not usually the case, especially with laptops...., a universal lvds video board or a motherboard like a commell will usually have a very strong signal, but laptops usualy don't...

there are 2 different ways to clean up the signal once signal loss occurs... one way is to use whats called a serializer... which consists of 2 parts(ic's)... one attaches to the motherboard end, & converts the lvds signal to serial data... it then transmits this serial data over great lengths, & at the other end, another ic converts this serial data back to lvds for the panel.... this method is good for up to 60 meters!!! yeah, that's not a typo...., you can easily have the laptop anywhere you want, & run the cables up/down/left & right, up through the roof, etc... to where you need it to be....

the other way is to use another ic that just refines the signal... forgot what it's called technically, but it's basically like a booster... it never changes the signal from lvds at all, but it can take a degraded signal & restore it....

if your only going a few feet then satisfactory results can sometimes be achieved with just extending the cable, there are a lot of variables though, from the connection method, to the way you actually make the connections...., if you look at yuri's posts, you'll see that somewhere he does admit to signal loss & less than perfect display from what I remember, & he's only going like 3'....
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by nick_danger View Post
            Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't also happen to know the exact type of cable I need to buy to fab up a new one, would you? I know it's lazy of me, I openly admit it, but if you can point me to a specific link... thanks much!
            I have the cable here and I will sell you the cable, terminals and connectors if you want.
            I would need to see the connecotr from the mainboard to match it, as well as the model # from the lcd panel.

You will need to back trace the existing cable to determine the pinouts from the mainboard, as acer will not give out this info.

If you are really feeling lazy, send me your existing lcd cable and I will make one for you.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
              cat5 is actually a great cable to use with this too..., the twisted pair for each signal & return is good for this, & is designed for very high speed data without loss or interfearance...
              But, finding stranded cat5 is not easy. Using solid core wire is a pain in the *** to work with, and you have a bulky cable that can't flex as easily as stranded.

Comment

Hi, Motorcity!
                I have a similar problem, wanting to extend the LVDS cable on an old Dell Inspiron 8200, using a NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 onboard card. I intend to adapt a touchscreen on top the screen and use the system as a jukebox, picture viewer and DVD player. I would need a 3-to-6 foot extension, preferably round (for cosmetic reasons), but my main concern is getting the best signal, at a low price. The connector on the video card is a 50-pin ZIF for vertical insertion, with a small plastic lever on top. Pins 50 and 1 are printed on the cable. I couldn't find the pinout or schematics of the video card/board, but I guess I don't need'em for an extension, right? I think soldering is out of consideration here, and neither I found what connector or the best cable to use for a neat installation. Do you have the cable, terminals and connectors (male and female) for an extension? Can you make the extension? How much would they cost?
                LCD: Samsung LTN150U2 L02, 15'', UXGA, TFT, 1600x1200 res
                Pics:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...8be778991c.jpg
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...8be7808e0b.jpg
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...8c018873de.jpg
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...8c15295b81.jpg
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...8c1530c3e9.jpg

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X