Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen powers off, but touchscreen still works?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen powers off, but touchscreen still works?

Just installed my carpc, and I'm having a startup issue I can't figure out. The specs of the system is a Aopen Minipc and xenarc 700TSV powered by a Carnetic P1900.

After the car sits for a long while (i.e. overnight, while i'm at work), and I start up the car, everything powers up normally (screen turns on, intel logo appears on screen). However, once it gets to the point where Windows loads up, the screen will power off. The computer will continue to boot, and after booting, the 'usb disconnected' sound occurs. What's strange is most of the time, with the screen 'off,' I can touch the screen where the buttons are supposed to be and the buttons will function.

All the other USB devices work as well. If I flip the switch for my remote wire (essentially turning off the P1900, waiting for the computer to shut down, and turning it back on), the screen and computer will boot up perfectly. Likewise, if the car is turned off for a short period of time (i.e. going into a store), everything will boot up perfectly.

I've searched, and haven't really found an answer. The obvious answer is the connector for the VGA and USB is coming loose in the back, but I can't recreate or fix the problem by jiggling the connector. Any other ideas? Sorry so long. Thanks all.

Originally posted by andrewt View Post
    Just installed my carpc, and I'm having a startup issue I can't figure out. The specs of the system is a Aopen Minipc and xenarc 700TSV powered by a Carnetic P1900.

After the car sits for a long while (i.e. overnight, while i'm at work), and I start up the car, everything powers up normally (screen turns on, intel logo appears on screen). However, once it gets to the point where Windows loads up, the screen will power off. The computer will continue to boot, and after booting, the 'usb disconnected' sound occurs. What's strange is most of the time, with the screen 'off,' I can touch the screen where the buttons are supposed to be and the buttons will function.

All the other USB devices work as well. If I flip the switch for my remote wire (essentially turning off the P1900, waiting for the computer to shut down, and turning it back on), the screen and computer will boot up perfectly. Likewise, if the car is turned off for a short period of time (i.e. going into a store), everything will boot up perfectly.

I've searched, and haven't really found an answer. The obvious answer is the connector for the VGA and USB is coming loose in the back, but I can't recreate or fix the problem by jiggling the connector. Any other ideas? Sorry so long. Thanks all.
    Does it boot into "safe mode" and then work when you restart it after it doesn't work, or is it booting into "non safe mode/windows"

Can you try powering the screen from the cigarrette lighter or something, to see if it is a power problem.

It could be a wierd driver issue. I am not very familiar with the AOpen, but does it have more then one video output option. Perhaps once it boots into windows, it is switching the video output setting. Why it works the second time around, if NOT BOOTING INTO SAFE MODE, I can't figure out. Are you using powerstrip or any other program to try and manipulate the video output? Perhaps it is not starting that program the second time around. I have a feeling because it is booting into safe mode, but I guess we will have to see.

If everything is the same betweem a "bad" boot and a "good" boot, then it will be near impossible to figure out.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

hey michael, thanks for the reply.

when the computer starts and the screen turns off, it is booting into regular windows mode.

not using powerstrip or anything like that.

however, its a good thought to try powering the screen by other means. i'll try that when i get the chance.

i just can't decide whether its a hardware issue (connector) or a software issue (drivers or something). i'll be able to tear into it tomorrow, so more testing will commence.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewt View Post
        hey michael, thanks for the reply.

when the computer starts and the screen turns off, it is booting into regular windows mode.
        What about when it DOES work, is it booting into safe mode or into regular windows?

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I just looked at the AOpen in the MP3car.com store, and it has several video outputs, DVI, Video, VGA. Somehow, that has to be set, and I would bet it is with software. Something is most likely loading when you load windows, and it is changing the display away from VGA.

Michael

Comment

when it does work, its booting into regular windows mode as well.

you also bring up a good point with the different inputs. something else to check out tomorrow. once again, thanks for the replies.

Comment

my mini wakes from sleep when i hit the touch screen when the screen is off.
              Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

update: i think it has something to do with current draw or something. when the monitor power is isolated from the car, everything boots up perfectly.

the 'fix' i've figured out is to leave the remote switch off, start the car and wait until the engine is running, and then turn the P1900 on. this procedure has never resulted in any problems in booting up of the computer or monitor. if i had to guess, i would say that simultaniously powering up the monitor, computer, and cranking the car is drawing too much current from the battery. <shrug> for now, i'll keep using this power up procedure, but i'll continue searching for an answer.

Comment

Working...
                X