In over my head...new lcd touchscreen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In over my head...new lcd touchscreen

Hey there, I checked the sticky above (powering on your lcd) and either it didn't tell me what I need to know, or I'm toooo noob to understand it...

The situation is, I bought a cheapo LCD touchscreen on ebay thinking I'll use it for my carPC project. It was cheap, so I figured not much to lose if I can't figure it out. Well, the connections coming off of this thing look foreign to me...and I have googled to no avail.

The screen is by Seiko model C555002. The best 'data sheet' I could find is here: (sorry for the shatty quality, its the best I could find)

http://www.earthlcd.com/downloads/Seiko_C555002.pdf

Basically I want to know what I need to do to turn this thing on and see if it works. If you couldn't gather it from the shatty document above, it has red+black wires from the side that combine into a tiny white male(?) end connector (a couple mm wide at most). It also has...coming from the touch screen part...a sort of 'tape' with four shiny silver strips inside.

At least I didn't pay much for it...can anyone help?

Thanks

Do you have pictures? As far as I can guess based on what you mentioned, you simply have a LCD and touchscreen... with no controller. The sticky really only details LCDs that come with a controller, and describes how to power the controller, which, in turn, drives the LCD and touchscreen.

- The red+black wires... probably to power the backlight.
    - The FFC (you called it a "tape") should be able to be controlled by any "4 wire TSC" (touch screen controller), but you should be careful you got the pinout correct.

You haven't mentioned how to get the data from a source (dvd player, xbox, computer, etc) to the screen. There should be at least one more connector.
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

i have a usb controller for purchase in my for sale thread if you want it.
      Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Here is a picture of the board...hopefully you can discern the parts I was describing.
        http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bradleya/pics/lcd.JPG

You haven't mentioned how to get the data from a source (dvd player, xbox, computer, etc) to the screen. There should be at least one more connector.
        I believe there is a place for an input wire, but I have no wire...on the 'spec sheet' there is a table listed as CN1. There is a part labeled CN1 (brown+black on the bottom of the picture) that has a lot of teeeny tiny pins inside. I believe the other input should go here...?

with no controller.
        I'm pretty disappointed that I'll need to buy such a major component. I didn't realize that controllers cost so much, I guess thats why you buy a fully packaged screen.

Comment

Yep, CN1 is signal input. Now that I look carefully at the pdf in the first post, I would not recommend this LCD.

- You have to try to find a controller for it, and then there's the issue of making it work (drivers, etc)
          - 640x480 res is pretty weak given the physical size, but okay if you're okay with it.
          - EL backlight means definitely not daylight readable.

...sorry.
          Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
          Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
          Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
          Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
          ...it never ends

Comment

Working...
          X