cdr/dvd drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdr/dvd drive

i bought a cdrw.dvd rom external drive for my carpc and i have a 160w power supply. the carpc has a cd rom already installed but when i try to hook up the drive it wont read the disks nor will the pc show its hooked up to it via usb

Did you supply the external drive with power too? Usually it needs additional power and only uses the USB for data transmission.
    System always under construction

Comment

how? what type of power supply i would need?

Comment

Usually 5v for a slim drive.

You can pull the 5v from the red wire on a HDD molex conenctor.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

the external drive has like this external power connector but it has a usb end to it can i buy a power connecter and plug it into the cigarette lighter?

Comment

and use the barrel connector/wire off the AC power supply that came with it. You will have to use a multimeter to figure out which wire is 5V and which is GND. Otherwise, go to radioshack and pick up the power conecter that plugs into the back of the drive and wire it up correctly. If you wire it backwards you will kill the external drive. The extrenal drive will inidcate polarity of how the plug should be.

Comment

Not if you want to retain a functioning optical drive!
              The car's electrical system (including the cigarette lighter) are 12v. A slim drive usually requires 5v. The fact that your power connector has a USB connection, it confirms that your drive requires 5v.

Again, tap into the 5v on a HDD molex connection for power. The red wire is 5v. The yellow wire is 12v.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

yes I think I have seen a convertor like that. It has to convert the 12v to 5V.

Comment

search for cigarette lighter to usb

correction: Not enough current to power it properly. YOu need soemthing to do 2A or more probably. this will only do 0.7A after seeign the pic up close. Just wire it from the molex connector and hack the usb cable power cord unless you drive only needs 700ma to power it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Where Can I Get A Connector That Converts 12v To 5v Im Trying To Make This Process As Simple As Possible. And If Anyone Has A Diagram As To Where And How To Connect With The M Hdd Red Wire I Would Greatly Appreciate It

Comment

look here at the disk drive connector from your computer PSU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb

then take your usb power cable and cut it. Figure out what wire is connected to the outer ring on the barrel connector using a multimeter set to ohms. that will be ground ususally. the inner pin shoudl be 5V.

Added:
                      Use wire from PIN 1 USB to RED wire on Molex
                      USe wire from PIN 4 USB to Black wire on molex

Comment

here is a description of how to make one but all the pictures are gone. Sorry.

Added more to previous post^^^

Comment

I Am Really Grateful For The Help From You Guys You Guys Are Great But I Still A Neewbie Here When You Say The Psu Power Supply 5v Wire Is This Wire Inside The Computer Or The Wires Outside The Computer Becse I Have 3 Wires Coming Out The Computer One Black One Red And One White. Now I Have To Look Inside The Computer To Look At The Wires Connected To The Hd. Is That Correct? Im Just Trying To Follow You Guys Here.

Comment

yep you have to go inside the computer. You are going to have to get your hands dirty.

Comment

I WENT TO TIGER DIRECT.COM AND FOUND A CIGARETTE LIGHTER TO USB CONNECTOR FOR AN IPOD BUT IT CONVERTS 12V TO 5V CAN I USE THIS INSTEAD?
                              http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...LIGHTER+TO+USB

Comment

Working...
                              X