Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is a Pentium D 805 overkill and will it do ok with the M2-ATX???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a Pentium D 805 overkill and will it do ok with the M2-ATX???

hi, well recently on the fry's electronic ads ive been seeing Pentium D 805 being combo'd with some ECS motherboards for around 79.99 and thought it was a crazy deal but i wonder is this way too much for a car pc?

I did the power calculations and added almost all the equipment im planning on using and it comes to about 150ish watts since the mATX already has built in Audio and Video...

I'm planning on using 2 sticks of 512mb ddr 3200 ram i have laying around

since the M2-ATX only supports 160w and my setup is already 150w am i safe or will i have to skip this great deal and fork over more dough for a mobile CPU?

I know pentium M are pretty cheap over ebay but the motherboards for them arent.... id rather buy something local so that i don;t have to deal with shipping things back and forth if something goes wrong

its not just the total watts you need to be concerned with, you will need to calculate how much current will be drawn on the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails. and then compare this with the M2's spec.

I imagine you'll go over on at least one (i'm guessing 5v)

Comment

wah??? lol im so new to building a system based on limited power supply lol... Any idea on how i can find out info on whether the cpu will go over the limit of the m2???

Comment

never done it myself, but there are various "power calculators" around the internet. as with everything, some are better than others.

for all your equipment, you'll need to know the total amps drawn at 5v, and the total drawn at 12v etc. then hunt around for the specification of the M2-ATX and you'll find it will provide something like 8A @ 12v, 6A @ 5v etc. if the M2 is capable of supplying more than you require on EVERY rail, then you will be ok.

if not, its either a different board/processor, or a bigger PSU such as the ds-atx or opus250.

Comment

You should do some searching around the forums, particularly in the FAQ Emporium.
          Many people have taken lots of time to create informational write-ups like this one that shows you how to answer this question yourself.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekka View Post
            hi, well recently on the fry's electronic ads ive been seeing Pentium D 805 being combo'd with some ECS motherboards for around 79.99 and thought it was a crazy deal but i wonder is this way too much for a car pc?

I did the power calculations and added almost all the equipment im planning on using and it comes to about 150ish watts since the mATX already has built in Audio and Video...

I'm planning on using 2 sticks of 512mb ddr 3200 ram i have laying around

since the M2-ATX only supports 160w and my setup is already 150w am i safe or will i have to skip this great deal and fork over more dough for a mobile CPU?

I know Pentium M are pretty cheap over ebay but the motherboards for them aren't.... id rather buy something local so that i don;t have to deal with shipping things back and forth if something goes wrong
            Yes overkill for a carpc , not to mention Pentium d 805 have high power consumption(90-100w). But if you can get it that cheap its worth it , get a opus 320w which is way enough.

Another thing to worry about with the 805d is heat.

Comment

opus 320? don't you mean 250? or is there a 320 version also already?
              Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
              CLARION HX-D2
              CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
              CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
              CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

There is a 320w Opus PSU.
                It's not in the mp3car.com store as of yet, but it is available through Opus' website.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller View Post
                  Yes overkill for a carpc , not to mention Pentium d 805 have high power consumption(90-100w). But if you can get it that cheap its worth it , get a opus 320w which is way enough.

Another thing to worry about with the 805d is heat.

I would say heat is your biggest issue. Not price or wattage because there are ways to get around those...

The Pentium D systems I have built go between 60C and 85C which is an oven. Put that inside of a car that is going to be parked in the sun type thing or in an enclosed space, and you are asking for trouble. I have been able to get 1 Pentium D system down to around 38C, but the fan/heatsink on the thing was ginormous!!! It went through the plastic side of the case.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by IC-C30 View Post
                    opus 320? don't you mean 250? or is there a 320 version also already?
                    Yea you can buy it on their site.

Edit: DP beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                      There is a 320w Opus PSU.
                      It's not in the mp3car.com store as of yet, but it is available through Opus' website.
                      Thabks, that's gonna be the one for me then. (although I intended to go with the 250 at first, but that would've left no room for expansion)

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post

I would say heat is your biggest issue. Not price or wattage because there are ways to get around those...

The Pentium D systems I have built go between 60C and 85C which is an oven. Put that inside of a car that is going to be parked in the sun type thing or in an enclosed space, and you are asking for trouble. I have been able to get 1 Pentium D system down to around 38C, but the fan/heatsink on the thing was ginormous!!! It went through the plastic side of the case.
                        I have a pentium D945.... fluctuates between 21C and 37C depending on how fast I let the cpu fan spin (only fan I'm using btw)

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post

I have a pentium d 805 myself , with the stock cooler in a 17 celcius room , the temperature of the processor at idle was 36 celcius after 1 hour ( with the stock cooler ) , I bought a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and with a room temperature of 23 celcius the processor was idle at 28 celcius after 1 hour. I ran torture tests ( prime95 ) as well , 1 per core , with the stock cooler it was running at 68 celcius and the AC was running at 36. But , the AC is HUGE , so its not something you would use in a carpc. And the stock cooler runs way too hot for a carpc.

Comment

damn i didnt think they get that hot what do u guys think of an athlon 64 65w energy effiecient but i wonder if those ever go on sale

Comment

hey tekka, im thinking of the same setup..i have heard that the new Pentium D 805 Smithfield dont run as hot...i dont know, what did you end up doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X