Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting everything together

Hey all,

I'm new to this carputer thing, but i just bought myself a 1997 Jetta GLX. I came across this website, and I am very interested in building a carputer for the car.

I have old parts and components for the computer, and i think my friend might even have a GPS thing laying around. With that said, i would love to put all my music on a large Hard drive with some video files as well and be able to play them.

Now, I'm wondering exactly how to connect everything together, and what goes to what. I'd like to keep my current head unit (Pioneer DEH 6700MP). Im not too interested in putting in a DVD player or anything, but i am interested in WiFi. If anyone has a good tutorial on perhaps showing me how to set everything up initially, all i would need is a touchscreen and i could start installing everything.

What im most confused on is how to hook up the computer to the head unit to the speakers. if anyone has a good diagram for that, then i think i'll have a hell of a lot better understanding of how everything works.

Thanks all
    -Dave

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

Post #9 has a link you're going to want to read.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

Post #9 has a link you're going to want to read.

Allright. That answered a lot of the questions i had. i guess i just missed that post on the faq.

The other thing im sort of confused about. I've been reading, and im getting mixed signals as to what exactly is needed for the power supply. I looked on the store, and i see that there are PSU's that are DC that can control shutdown procedures and whatnot. I also see some startup/shutdown controllers. Should i assume that the startup/shutdown controllers are for those who choose to buy an inverter and use an AC PSU?

Also, I see DC regulators. Im assuming that you would need these if you choose to hook up a CD or DVD drive that requires 5V?

and last but not least. DC power supplies. If im planning on putting in my car a Pentium 3 system, how many watts do you think I'd need? I guess i just take into account the actual power the CPU uses, the power the HDD uses, and the monitor and thats it? Im not planning on putting a DVD drive in the dash yet, but that could be in the future.

Thanks
      -Dave

Comment

you want an all-in-one package. A PSU that handles shutdown/startup and regulates the "dirty" electricity coming from your alternator/battery. Check out the various power calculators to determine the right sized PSU for your application. Search "power calculator" or checkout the FAQ for the post on it.

Comment

Originally posted by almostamerican3 View Post
          Allright. That answered a lot of the questions i had. i guess i just missed that post on the faq.

The other thing im sort of confused about. I've been reading, and im getting mixed signals as to what exactly is needed for the power supply. I looked on the store, and i see that there are PSU's that are DC that can control shutdown procedures and whatnot. I also see some startup/shutdown controllers. Should i assume that the startup/shutdown controllers are for those who choose to buy an inverter and use an AC PSU?

Also, I see DC regulators. Im assuming that you would need these if you choose to hook up a CD or DVD drive that requires 5V?

and last but not least. DC power supplies. If im planning on putting in my car a Pentium 3 system, how many watts do you think I'd need? I guess i just take into account the actual power the CPU uses, the power the HDD uses, and the monitor and thats it? Im not planning on putting a DVD drive in the dash yet, but that could be in the future.

Thanks
          -Dave

I guess i didnt do my homework well enough. I've found answers to parts 1 and 3 to my question.

I'm still confused about the DC-DC converter/regulator. If i buy a DC power supply (from this forum, for example), do i need one of these as well? If the PSU comes with a startup shutdown controller, do i need one of these to convert the 12 V to 5V or whatnot? or is this usually done through the PSU as it comes?

also, I've looked on the power calculator for the power requirements I need. Should I take into account the touchscren monitor for the DC power supply? Or is that usually connected directly to the battery?

Comment

I guess i didnt do my homework well enough. I've found answers to parts 1 and 3 to my question.

I'm still confused about the DC-DC converter/regulator. If i buy a DC power supply (from this forum, for example), do i need one of these as well? If the PSU comes with a startup shutdown controller, do i need one of these to convert the 12 V to 5V or whatnot? or is this usually done through the PSU as it comes?
            The DC power supplies do their own regulation, so no, you don't need a regulator and a DC PSU. (I'm assuming your'e talking about th ATX-compatible power supplies like the M1, M2, DSATX and Opus 150w, 250w or 320w. These are all "all-inclusive" units that regulate power, act as the PC's power supply and perform the duties of a startup/shutdown controller.
            There are also regulators out there for mini-PCs and laptops, as well.

Check this FAQ out. It explains in more details, and also helps you select a PSU for your setup: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636

also, I've looked on the power calculator for the power requirements I need. Should I take into account the touchscren monitor for the DC power supply? Or is that usually connected directly to the battery?
            That depends...
            Xenarcs can be powered straight off the battery, as they have a built-in regulator.
            Lilliputs are supposed to receive regulated 12v power, so you'd want to power them from the PC's PSU or another regulated 12v power source. They comne with an egg-shaped regulator specifically for that purpose, but some have said the quality of these sucks. There are others still that feed unregulated power to a Lilliput and have no adverse effects... YMMV.
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

That depends...
              Xenarcs can be powered straight off the battery, as they have a built-in regulator.
              Lilliputs are supposed to receive regulated 12v power, so you'd want to power them from the PC's PSU or another regulated 12v power source. They comne with an egg-shaped regulator specifically for that purpose, but some have said the quality of these sucks. There are others still that feed unregulated power to a Lilliput and have no adverse effects... YMMV.
              I looked at that FAQ before, but i just didnt understand everything from it.

And as for the touchscreens, what type of connector do they have if i decided to give it to the PSU to handle? does it have a molex or do i have to make my own modded type of deal? Also, how much power do they draw? I was considering getting a 220 watt or 250 Watt PSU for an old P3 computer I have. After doing the power calculations, I'll need at MAX about 220 or so. would i be fine to buy the 250 and be worry free if i decide to add the touchscreen to the PSU?

Comment

I think a lilliput is like 6 or 7 W. Something really low. It doesn't come witha molex connector, you'll have to splice a wire into the 12V and ground wires of your PSU molexes.

Comment

I looked at that FAQ before, but i just didnt understand everything from it.
                  What parts of it don't you understand? I'll do my best to clarify...

I was considering getting a 220 watt or 250 Watt PSU for an old P3 computer I have. After doing the power calculations, I'll need at MAX about 220 or so. would i be fine to buy the 250 and be worry free if i decide to add the touchscreen to the PSU?
                  Yes, you would be fine witha PSU that is capable of putting out more power than you need. That will give you a cushion, in case you decide to upgrade or add more devices or something.

What P-III are you using that requires that much power? The P-III with the highest draw that I can see pulls less than 40w, which is next to nothing for a CPU.

You could do just fine with a lower-rated PSU like an Opus 150w or M2ATX if you need to save a few bucks. The higher-rated PSU, as I said, will allow you to upgrade down teh road and not need a new PSU. Either path would be a good one, methinks.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

What parts of it don't you understand? I'll do my best to clarify...

Yes, you would be fine witha PSU that is capable of putting out more power than you need. That will give you a cushion, in case you decide to upgrade or add more devices or something.

What P-III are you using that requires that much power? The P-III with the highest draw that I can see pulls less than 40w, which is next to nothing for a CPU.

You could do just fine with a lower-rated PSU like an Opus 150w or M2ATX if you need to save a few bucks. The higher-rated PSU, as I said, will allow you to upgrade down teh road and not need a new PSU. Either path would be a good one, methinks.

For the FAQ thing, it was just really late when i read it. so i probably just missed a few things when reading.

and for the P3 system, i used one of those power calulators. Yes, the P3 uses like, 40 -45 watts of power. but after all the drives and hard drives and ram and video card and stuff like that, it said that my minimum power supply should be a 215 W or so PSU. so i figured the 250 would be the safest bet. i mean, i would rather save the money and go for the 150 watt, but im not sure if i should. What do you guys think?

Comment

Well, you can always research all the pieces/parts that you want to use and determine power draw. Most pieces/parts will either have a power draw or can use an estimate. Obviously, if you know the exact power draw, your calculations will be more accurate.

And based on what you've said, you shouldn't require that beefy of a PSU unless you've got a power-gobbling 3D graphics card. And do you really need that 3D card? Probably not.

Search the forums for POWER CALCULATOR. There are several of them. Use them all. They all have different information, but you can get a reasonable estimate of power draw to determine what PSU you'll need.

If there's something that you can't determine a power draw for, post it here, and someone may be able to help you out.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Well, you can always research all the pieces/parts that you want to use and determine power draw. Most pieces/parts will either have a power draw or can use an estimate. Obviously, if you know the exact power draw, your calculations will be more accurate.

And based on what you've said, you shouldn't require that beefy of a PSU unless you've got a power-gobbling 3D graphics card. And do you really need that 3D card? Probably not.

Search the forums for POWER CALCULATOR. There are several of them. Use them all. They all have different information, but you can get a reasonable estimate of power draw to determine what PSU you'll need.

If there's something that you can't determine a power draw for, post it here, and someone may be able to help you out.

Ok, well, I used both of these PSU calculators -

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...calculator.php
                        http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

The first says it should be around 200 watts, the second around 220.

What should I do? I dont want to underpower my PC, but i dont want to spend all that extra money on a beefy PSU. Suggestions?

Comment

Ok, well, I used both of these PSU calculators -

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...calculator.php
                          http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

The first says it should be around 200 watts, the second around 220.

What should I do? I dont want to underpower my PC, but i dont want to spend all that extra money on a beefy PSU. Suggestions?
                          Are you still trying to run a dedicated video card as well? That is not neccessary for car use. Also how many harddrives are you trying to run?

I still think your system is too beefy for a general purpose CarPC.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            Are you still trying to run a dedicated video card as well? That is not neccessary for car use. Also how many harddrives are you trying to run?

I still think your system is too beefy for a general purpose CarPC.
                            Here is what im running in it -

P3 933 mhz proccesor
                            one 250 gb Hard drive
                            any generic PCI video card i have laying around
                            512 mb of PC100 SD RAM
                            SoundBlaster Audigy 2 - the possibility of the front bay with it
                            A wireless NIC card
                            A DVD-RW drive
                            A usb GPS receiver
                            a bluetooth adapter - for phone use
                            added a couple USB ports just in case i decide to throw something else on there - im going to integrate a couple of USB ports in the front.

with all this on the journeys calculator, i have a total of 192 watts.

The more and more i think about it, the more I'm getting discouraged of building an actual PC in the car. I've been thinking that maybe i should just use an old laptop with a broken LCD, and just buy a external enclosure for the hard drive. Then I'd just buy a DC power supply for the laptop, and just use that. Also, then it will just be a hell of a lot easier to take it inside when it gets extremely cold.

Comment

Working...
                            X