Buy Pre-Built or Not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Pre-Built or Not

Hey guys, been lurking for quite a long time so i think i have enough knowledge to start building (read: buying) my first system.

So far i have decided on this from the mp3car store:
    Code:
    # Via Motherboard:Epia SP13000
    # DDR Memory:512MB Full DIMM PC3200 RAM
    # Hard Drive:40GB 2.5" 5400RPM HD
    # Vehicle Power Supply:M2-ATX 160W DC-DC
    # Operating System:None
    # Monitor:Xenarc 700IDT In-dash Single Din Touchscreen Monitor
    # CD/DVD Drive:Panasonic Slot Load DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
    # WiFi Adapters:None
    # Bluetooth:None
    # Sound:Advantage Roadie 7.1 USB Externall Surround Sound
    # Keyboard:None
    # Build:Customer Build
    I will be using tinyxp and frodoplayer and also adding a gps reciever later on.

Now question time.

How does that system look? Will the M2-ATX be able to handle all that? I did some quick calculating and it looks like it should manage, but i couldn't find exact power numbers for everything so i'm not 100% sure.

Second question, if i buy the system as a pre-built system, then it will cost $1,145. But because alot of items have discounted prices, if i buy all the above items seperate (from mp3car shop), it is only going to cost $930.
    Is anything included in the pre-built systems that i wouldn't get from buying the items seperate? If it's only random cables and stuff then i can pick that up myself. It also means i can buy everything else and put it all together while i'm waiting for the Xenarc to be restocked.

Sorry if the questions sound a little stupid but i always like to be 100% sure about something before i go handing this kind of money over.

The M2ATX should handle all that with no problems whatsoever.

And no, there's nothing that the pre-built system has that you wouldn't get if you ordered individual parts and built it yourself.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

but, it might be cheaper to build it yerself, a nicer hard drive (that one is small and SLOWWWWWWW) and i dont really like those flimsy indash motorized LCDs

they usually arent as good quality (prone to motors dying, the screen breaking off, etc etc etc) and also many of them have lower contrast and view angles than non-motorized lcds

also, competely personal opinions, DD screens look cooler than indash single din
      2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

There are two types of car computer users IMO. Those who want to HAVE a car computer and those who want to build one. If the thought of building a car pc doesn't give you some excitment, you may want to buy. I personally would rather build then buy even if buying saved me $200.
        Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
        Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
        I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
        Please help.

Comment

MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

J187 has hit the nail on the head.
            Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
            Serious error.
            All shortcuts have disappeared.
            Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Redian View Post
              but, it might be cheaper to build it yerself, a nicer hard drive (that one is small and SLOWWWWWWW) and i dont really like those flimsy indash motorized LCDs

they usually arent as good quality (prone to motors dying, the screen breaking off, etc etc etc) and also many of them have lower contrast and view angles than non-motorized lcds

also, competely personal opinions, DD screens look cooler than indash single din

Redian, I was just about to purchase that same exact hard drive. Which HD do you suggest?

EDIT: Never mind i checked your CarPC Spec.
              If you cant DODGE em, RAM em.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJamieR View Post
                J187 has hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Ramanator View Post
                Redian, I was just about to purchase that same exact hard drive. Which HD do you suggest?
                A HD with 7200rpm and a large (8mb or more) cache.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by J187 View Post
                  There are two types of car computer users IMO. Those who want to HAVE a car computer and those who want to build one. If the thought of building a car pc doesn't give you some excitment, you may want to buy. I personally would rather build then buy even if buying saved me $200.
                  I do actually find more appeal in the build. The only reason i was going to buy it prebuilt was because i didn't trust myself to remember all the components. But since it will end up the same it gives me some flexibility about what components i decide to buy.

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                  A HD with 7200rpm and a large (8mb or more) cache.
                  Will do.

Originally posted by Redian View Post

I thought the 700idt was spring loaded. I was wanting an indash screen because it looks more stealth and is less likely to get stolen. I'm also quite useless at fabrication.

If the screen breaks off the 700idt i guess i can always just go the DD route.

Comment

Originally posted by D3LTR33 View Post
                    I do actually find more appeal in the build. The only reason i was going to buy it prebuilt was because i didn't trust myself to remember all the components. But since it will end up the same it gives me some flexibility about what components i decide to buy.
                    Ok, well you don't have to trust yourself, there are tens of thousands of posts here to remind you.

Besides, if you forget something then it really only costs you a little extra shipping and some time to get it. Building will give you more flexability, better upgradability, a better understanding of to operate and fix the unit and most of all, a sense of accomplishment that, for me, rivals the thrill of using the thing.....Imagine if the Egyptions built the pyramids, then stepped back, and got GPS on those bad boys....C'mon, you gotta build it
                    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
                    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
                    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
                    Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by J187 View Post
                      Ok, well you don't have to trust yourself, there are tens of thousands of posts here to remind you.

Besides, if you forget something then it really only costs you a little extra shipping and some time to get it. Building will give you more flexability, better upgradability, a better understanding of to operate and fix the unit and most of all, a sense of accomplishment that, for me, rivals the thrill of using the thing.....Imagine if the Egyptions built the pyramids, then stepped back, and got GPS on those bad boys....C'mon, you gotta build it
                      Ahahhaha. Well that settles it. You got me with the Egyptians. Thanks guys.

Comment

I thought the 700idt was spring loaded. I was wanting an indash screen because it looks more stealth and is less likely to get stolen. I'm also quite useless at fabrication.
                        Actually, the in-dasah units look less stealth. Most are so deep that they stick out of the dash a bit. It also looks like... well.. An in-dash screen. It's very easy for a thief to do a smash-and-grab and take off with your screen in a few seconds. Granted, he's not going to be able to unload it anywhere, as a pawn shop isn't going to want it.
                        This makes a lot of assumptions about the installation, mind you. You can secure a unit to slow the thief down, of course. Most installers don't do that, sadly...

If you want stealth, a screen molded in the dash with some sort of cover is the best bet. Not easy to pull off, but it can be done.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hey guys, been lurking for quite a long time so i think i have enough knowledge to start building (read: buying) my first system.

So far i have decided on this from the mp3car store:
                          Code:
                          # Via Motherboard:Epia SP13000
                          # DDR Memory:512MB Full DIMM PC3200 RAM
                          # Hard Drive:40GB 2.5" 5400RPM HD
                          # Vehicle Power Supply:M2-ATX 160W DC-DC
                          # Operating System:None
                          # Monitor:Xenarc 700IDT In-dash Single Din Touchscreen Monitor
                          # CD/DVD Drive:Panasonic Slot Load DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
                          # WiFi Adapters:None
                          # Bluetooth:None
                          # Sound:Advantage Roadie 7.1 USB Externall Surround Sound
                          # Keyboard:None
                          # Build:Customer Build
                          I will be using tinyxp and frodoplayer and also adding a gps reciever later on.

You didn't specify a case. Not that you need to use one, but without a case or an OS you are going to be building it yourself anyway.
                          ~Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyFitz View Post
                            You didn't specify a case. Not that you need to use one, but without a case or an OS you are going to be building it yourself anyway.
                            Yeh... i'm kinda up in the air as to whether i'm gonna put it in a nice looking case or build it into the boot floor beneath a perspex window to save some space.

Probably the latter.

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            If you want stealth, a screen molded in the dash with some sort of cover is the best bet. Not easy to pull off, but it can be done.
                            I reckon a screen moulded into the dash looks loads better then a single din unit. But i'm worried my fabrication skills will have it end up looking dodgy. I'll try get a 2nd dash from the wreckers so i can practice.

Comment

the WRX lcd frame holder works on more than just the WRX, its basically a double din radio case without the radio + an lcd =p

if you want to get better pictures of it, look at my worklog or ask me, i will take it out and snap a few more pictures for you
                              2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Working...
                              X