Newb, SFF install, 1992 Suburban

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb, SFF install, 1992 Suburban

First of all, HELLO ALL! Lurking for some time, but recently decided to get rid of the laptop and do a more permanant install in my '92 Chevy Suburban.

I bought a Compaq Evo SFF (for $106 on Ebay)- P4, 1.7ghz, 256mb, 20g. I also bought an external slot loading DVD drive, and Lilliput 7" TS, and OPUS 150w PS. I already own M.S. S&T '06 (nav.) and BT dongle (for handsfree and Cingular GPRS/EDGE internet)

I am going to strip the internals of the SFF and mount it into a custom console (took my stock one out) that also houses the monitor and slot loading DVD drive.

I will be using this for navigation, DVDs, spreadsheet manipulation (for work in the field), and jukebox.

Please comment if you can see any future problems I may have, or if you have something I need to buy! Pictures will follow install!

The only thing i would consider upgrading is your ram, 256mb can be a little slow, especially if you are using navigation along with any other programs... I would also look into a bigger HD...
    MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted this is did a lot more searching, and realized that this Compaq is not a good choice. I will relist on Ebay. Apparently it has proprietary power supply plug, which will require some rewiring to get it to work with my OPUS PSU. I will get another SFF with more RAM and storage!

My Lilliput was shipped today! $200, which is about average I suppose?

Comment

I would suggest that disassembling any sff pc is not really a good idea, at least if you want to mount it in a console. For that kind of stuff you should just get a nano-itx motherboard and work your way from there.

Comment

I was gonna buy a couple 512 sticks, but I don't really know what kind I need! Do I need DDR RAM? DDR2? -Geeze, this is such a NOOB question.

BTW, I'm not selling the SFF, I'm just going to use my DC-AC converter and hook it up with a relay. I'm cheap, and I already own a 350w Radio Shack inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by drewgarrett View Post
            I was gonna buy a couple 512 sticks, but I don't really know what kind I need! Do I need DDR RAM? DDR2? -Geeze, this is such a NOOB question.

BTW, I'm not selling the SFF, I'm just going to use my DC-AC converter and hook it up with a relay. I'm cheap, and I already own a 350w Radio Shack inverter.
            this ram should be SDRAM ddr didn't start till 2ghz in the compaq/evo series

Comment

SDRAM or DDR?

Compaq Evo D510 Ultra-Slim - P4 1.7 GHz : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

DDR or SDRAM? A buddy had a 256MB stick (DDR 184 pin) 2700 laying around, so I got it from him. Not gonna work?

Comment

Give it a try, but you might have to reconsider the Bluetooth GPS if you are using Standy/Hibernate. Mine gave me nothing but trouble and I ended up switching to a USB one instead- works smoothly all the time now.

Comment

Working...
                X