Organizing Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizing Music

Does anyone know of a good application that will take my music and update the ID3 tags to be correct. A lot of my music doesn't have these tags as I've been ripping CDs for a long time. I am not willing to go through 40 gigs of music and make all the corrections myself, so I want something that will use the internet and do it for me. Anyone know if windows media center is capable of this?

I hope someone has an answer for you because I have the same problem. I have been going through them one by one myself making the changes for artist and song title. It would be great to have something that would add the genre, album, etc.

Comment

I'm currently testing two options I found searching the web. The first is to fix the tags: Magic MP3 Tagger. I'm running it right now, but with my amount of music it looks like its gonna take a little less than another hour to finish. Also going to try AlbumArtFixer, for the obvious.

I'll post results soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Magista View Post
        I'm currently testing two options I found searching the web. The first is to fix the tags: Magic MP3 Tagger. I'm running it right now, but with my amount of music it looks like its gonna take a little less than another hour to finish. Also going to try AlbumArtFixer, for the obvious.

I'll post results soon.
        Yeah, I'd like to see those. If it works good I'll have to give it a shot. Is it freeware/shareware?

Comment

It's not entirely automated but Tag&Rename works amazingly well if you have your music sorted into folders by album. Just right click on the album folder, let it search amazon for track list and album art, click ok, and all tags are updated complete with album art.
          98' Honda CR-V
          http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

Results

Ok for Magic MP3 Tagger.

# of music files: 15,000+

I'd say it got information correctly for about 11k worth of the songs. The others it either made something up that was close or it parsed the file name as best it could. Great thing was, it was still organized so I could highlight the group of messed up files and right click and do a search for it on their online database. Then it'd update the tags. This way isn't completely automated but it did a GREAT deal of the work for me. I went to make the changes finalize and realized it is shareware and you can only commit 5 changes saves at a time. All my music mostly tagged in under 3 hours.

My music is broken down by folder so perhaps the other option would be useful too.

Comment

ID tags

See if someone you know has a creative mp3 player from the ZEN family, bundled comes an application that is called creative media toolbox which has a plugin called gracenote and it will connect to the internet and update id3 tags, it also has a bunch of other tools that are quite handy.

Cheers.
              "Most of the users you'll see in this site are still learning specially me"

Comment

My issue with Magic MP3 Tagger is that it's only good on one machine.

I wanted to run it on my CarPC and my home computer which has most of my music, but the individual who wrote the code seemed to be less than interested in why someone would want to run it on more than one machine. (office and home for instance too).
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

http://mediamonkey.com/

Really good.

Comment

Tag & REname
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

While I throughly love Tag & Rename...it's a bit of a headache when you have over 55,000 files...
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

55,000! thats a whole bunch of music... how much space does that take up, my modest collection of about 7,000 with the majority in mp3 form at avg bitrate of 256kbps i'm nearing 53gb. Assuming your collection is similar to mine bitrate wise i'd guess about 420gb! wow!
                        98' Honda CR-V
                        http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                          While I throughly love Tag & Rename...it's a bit of a headache when you have over 55,000 files...
                          I'm at around 40,000, and I know what you mean. I try to tag my music as I acquire it so I'm not having to retag tens of thousands of files at once.

The way I organize my music, it's not too bad, really. I store my music in subdirectories of Artist\Album. I can select a single artist, tag all the albums by that artist, and then move on to the next artist. It makes it easier to tag everything in small chunks.

Since when do you dis T&R? You're the one who recommended it to me!
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

heh - I know I know...

as for the size, it's about 120 gigs right now.

Unfortuantely, a lost of my music is ony at 128. It's from over 6 years ago when I started collecting. I've gradually been recollecting at higher bit rates. I'm also trying to find the time to rip all of my current collection of CDs in lossless format...but I'm not sure when that will happen...lol
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

I would recommend Tag&Rename also. The ability to grab all the album info from amazon UK/US/DE is a massive boon. (Especially when you'v ripped 20+ CDs and not set up EAC to output the correct tags ).
                              I also just use it in an artist/album directory structure and find it never has a problem with re-tagging lots of albums at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X