*HELP* Trying to figure out what I need to install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *HELP* Trying to figure out what I need to install

Hi. Im new to all of the car audio and computer stuff as I just recently got a car. I do however have an extensive amount of computer knowledge. I am not trying to install a full fledged computer in my car. What I am shooting for is an external hard drive most likely mounted in the glove box to hold MP3 Music and Video files. I want this hard drive to hook up to a In Dash touchscreen monitor and be able to play the files off of the hardrive. I dont see this to be extremly difficult as all external hard drives this days have a USB adapter and all of the In Dash video monitors I was looking at have USB ports. I am curious though if I can run a program such as windows media player or something to navigate through the music files with on the indash video. Also I am wondering If I will have to have a seperate Power source for the hard drive??? If anyone can help me with some of this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So, what's going to run the "media player"?

The drive is only storage, where's the hardware to run an OS?

Monitors are only that. Monitors. No real hardware (other than the controller board), no OS.

I think you need to do a little more reseach.

Cheers

BJ

Comment

wait...are you planning to connect your hard drive directly to your monitor through usb wire?

Comment

well when I think about it does make sense. but i guesse i was confused because I was looking at the in dash monitors today on onlinecarstero.com and they were running off ipods and it makes sense because the ipod is the running the media player. I think I may have to do this instead but with hooking ipods up to the touch screen monitor is it easy to navigate files???

And Yes i was planning to hook up my harddrive directly to the monitor through a USB wire.

Comment

Originally posted by LilJake351 View Post
          I do however have an extensive amount of computer knowledge.
          Neat!

I am not trying to install a full fledged computer in my car. What I am shooting for is an external hard drive most likely mounted in the glove box to hold MP3 Music and Video files. I want this hard drive to hook up to a In Dash touchscreen monitor and be able to play the files off of the hardrive. I dont see this to be extremly difficult as all external hard drives this days have a USB adapter and all of the In Dash video monitors I was looking at have USB ports.
          Interesting....

What exactly are u planning on using to ...
          ... run a program such as windows media player or something to navigate through the music files with on the indash video.

From #2, it sounds like you think this will magically happen between the hard drive and the monitor, but from #1, I'm sure you're aware that there is at least 1 more peice of hardware needed to turn all of those 1's and 0's that make up your mp3s into an analog signal your amplifiers or HU can use, and then perform the somewhat complicated process of telling your monitor what to show, so that you can control your music. Until I find a better way I'l just use a "full fleged computer".
          Also I am wondering If I will have to have a seperate Power source for the hard drive??? If anyone can help me with some of this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
          Again #1 tells me you really know the answer, and you must have had a momentary relapse.

Youre gonna need at least a very simple PC, Laptop or Tablet, or the like: and a power supply of sorts, (See FAQ). You could get away with a very inexpensive one for your needs. Good luck.
          It's been a while...

Comment

^^^ LOL

But back to your question, you will need at least mobo(w/ video and sound), processor, ram, hdd, power source, monitor and OS. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

You have a lot of reading to do.
            2005 Majestic Blue Nissan Altima | 7" xenarc | P4 2.0 | M2-ATX | Holux GPS | Bluetooth | Wifi | Road Runner |

Comment

Good place to start: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newb...ere-start.html
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The ipod IS the media player.

It's the hardware and OS that would be in the "regular" computer we're all using.

Even if you can simply hook it up to a monitor an navigate the ipod through the touchscreen, I don't think this will work either as I don't think the ipod has a video out. Even if it does, there's no way it's VGA which is what the car monitors use, so you will need some way of amplifying the output of the ipod to make it usable with the car speakers.

That means you'll have to either use amplifiers or go through a head unit.

From what you've been saying, I think you should just plug the ipod into the car stereo and be done with it. That's really all it seems you're looking for. There are many "easy" ways to do this, do a search.

Unfortunately, in this "hobby", there is no halfway.
                You have to do it "all the way" (computer in the car) or not. Anything else is just a dissapointment and an even bigger waste of money.

Good luck whichever way you go.

BJ

Comment

@LilJake351 the USB connectors on the VGA touchscreens is for the touchscreen to connect to a PC to replace the mouse (and/or keyboard)!

Comment

Working...
                  X