Can carputer monitor guages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can carputer monitor guages?

Hey, I'd like to know if I can use my 9" flipdown screen, also a laptop without a screen (video out works) to monitor my engine. I need to get gauges for EGT, boost, fuel pressure, and possibly trans. temp.
    Could anyone tell me if they make what I need to get this working?
    Thanks
    Budd

Hey Budd,

You chould check into OBDII for you car. Have a look here at this FAQ link.. If you car has OBDII you can get all kinds of info from your car's ECU and display it on your screen.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Actually I've been kicking around the thought of replacing the mechanical gauges in my car with LCD's but I wonder if there is someone has already designed a front end to such a project...

Comment

Is OBD-II Fast enough to be realtime???

I've never used it but sounds like a rippa idea, especially projected off the front windscreen with a projector.
        Scott Hancock
        www.hdtechnology.com.au

Comment

I use an elmscan 5 USB interface and with the Scantool.net software that came with it, you can choose which sensors you want to read from. This decreases the latency so you're only seeing what you want and it updates at a fast rate.

Comment

OBDII will never be as fast as a mechanical gauge due to the resolution of the OBDII sensors and the way the information is processed by the PC.

Comment

Are there aftermarket gauges I can hook to my computer, that will read as fast as mechanical gauges? Getting it from OBD-II might be a great idea, but I don't think it monitors the things I mentioned in my O.P.
              Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

not really. It's got to do with the sampling rate of the computer. OBDII have a lot of different parameters that are looked at. It depends on whether your car uses that and also what parameters the factory has decided to use for inputs to the cpu.
                you might have to look at other ways to look at the parameters you have mentioned if they are not captured by the ECU, maybe an ADC sampling card. Or just use mechanical gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetualjon View Post
                  Actually I've been kicking around the thought of replacing the mechanical gauges in my car with LCD's but I wonder if there is someone has already designed a front end to such a project...
                  Mercedes Benz has an lcd display instead of gauges
                  '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:
                  Design:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 100%
                  Fabrication:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]100%
                  Installation:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 80%

In trouble...

Comment

maybe somthing like
                    http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=179
                    http://www.turboxs.com/shop_prod.php?what_category=7

Comment

obd with be plenty fast but there are to factory sensors for what he wants (egt) and some of the others are skewed by the factory computer. i tune my truck with a computer and use it for gauges sometimes

Comment

I think the AEM standalone will output gauge images. I know there are companies that will convert your analog dash over to digital. if you're willing to wire the sensors i'm sure they could add/ subtract gauges.

Comment

There's a guy on this board who uses the carputer to display all his information on an LCD in the stock guage location.
                          do a search and it will probably show up.
                          Can't be much harder to have it monitor other parameters......

But, if it were me, I'd go for some readily available aftermarket gauges......

Cheers

BJ

Comment

Working...
                          X