Newb needing Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb needing Help

Hi im new here but i have been looking around and gathering knowledge for a long time. I have a lot of past expierence with building custom pcs and believe i will be fine building CarPC. But i need some help picking components

I want to be using the PC for:

DVD playing (dont need mp3)
    GPS Navigation
    Engine Monitoring and Controlling
    Built-in 802.11 wireless

I was also hoping to run Windows Vista on it
    I want something with 1gb ddr on it but picking a single motherboard over the others i am finding to be a difficult feat.

Thanks to all in advance
    Red

Choosing components is entirely up to you. I suggest loking through worklogs and the SOYP forum and seeing what components others have used.

The FAQ Emporium is also an invaluable informational resource.

I would recommend against Windows Vista. There's no need, and it's a big fat chunk of bloatware that you don't need in the car.
    Couple that witht he fact that it's brand new and as a result doesn't support some hardware and software, and you've got reasons to forego Vista, at least for now.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

cheers for the advice
      i guess vista is too buggy i was wondering because it has built in support for touch screens and all that.

Comment

Native support for a touchscreen is only one small piece fo the equation.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Ive been looking around and there isnt anything equivalent to OBDII for my car

it is a 1991 MR2 GLimited
          It has an ecu and i can get error codes out of it with the hairpin trick but would it work with a CarPC

Comment

Yeah, but whatever touchscreen you buy is going to be able to supply you the software to support it.

I did a laptop install, but you might be getting more function with what you want doing it with a PC setup.
            Mike M
            2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

You may be out of luck on the guages engine management. The pre 94/95 is tough and not standard like OBD2. I had a similar system in my 91 RX7. Mazda made a reader for it, but no-one else I found did.
              Mike M
              2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Don't run Vista unless you will be sticking a DX10 video card in it, and plan on playing Crysis on a 22" monitor from your back seat.
                current projects

Comment

no back seat

i do not have a backseat

the carpc is mostly for the passenger to play nintendo roms on.
                  and when needed adjust air intake/fuel intake but it seems i would not be able to do that with my car.

Comment

You can run nintendo roms on a modified Xbox...and run it through a standard monitor...cheaper too..
                    current projects

Comment

the coolness in having a carputer is too good though but it isnt worth getting if i cannot find a way to connect my engine to the carpc

Comment

considing the year, it's questionable.

OBD-II came about in the mid-90s. Good luck with it, though.

One option might be replacing the motor & electronics from a newer model. That's nnot in everyone's budget, obviously.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

I think you would be better off going to a forum dedicated to your car and finding out if there is any package that will run on a computer that will read your ECU.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

ok all
                            thanks very much for your help

Comment

Working...
                            X